Film, Video Reliance" and "Shamrock III" jockeying and starting in first race
About this Item
- Reliance" and "Shamrock III" jockeying and starting in first race
- "The opening scene shows the area designated for turning in the America's Cup Races. Two large sailingyachts approach the turning buoy and make their turn. They pass close to the boat carrying the camera. The crew of one of the yachts is clearly visible"--Early motion pictures.
- Smith, James Blair, camera
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1903.
- - America's Cup--(12th :--1903 :--New York, N.Y.)
- - Yacht racing--New York Harbor (N.Y. and N.J.)
- - Reliance (Yacht)
- - Shamrock III (Yacht)
- Filmed yacht races
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H35047 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 25Aug1903; H35047.
- - Camera, J.B. Smith.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1829) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Photographed August 22, 1903, off Sandy Hook, New Jersey.
- - Not viewed.
- - Source used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, , p. 270.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 125 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 125 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4843 (viewing print)
- FRA 1850 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0076F (paper pos)
- Box 5107H (paper pos, copy 2)
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Smith, James Blair, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Reliance" and "Shamrock III" jockeying and starting in first race. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1903. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2013607057/.
APA citation style:
Smith, J. B., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1903) Reliance" and "Shamrock III" jockeying and starting in first race. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2013607057/.
MLA citation style:
Smith, James Blair, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Reliance" and "Shamrock III" jockeying and starting in first race. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1903. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2013607057/>.