Manuscript/Mixed Material Hmayil (Armenian prayer scroll) number 2. Armenian prayer scroll number 2
About this Item
- Hmayil (Armenian prayer scroll) number 2.
- Armenian prayer scroll number 2
- Hmayils (phylacteries, or prayer scrolls) in the form of highly decorated and illuminated scrolls came into use in Armenia in the 17th century. These manuscripts contained sermons, magical formulas, and prayers to avoid all kinds of dangers--especially to ward off dews (demons). Printed editions, such as this example, were devoted to prayers, Gospel readings, and sermons. Designed for domestic use and for travel, the hmayil format remained in use until the 19th century. This example from the collections of the Library of Congress contains intricate hand-colored engravings. It received extensive conservation treatment at the Library of Congress and was restored almost to its original state. World Digital Library.
- Ateshian, Aram, Archbishop, 1954- associated name
Created / Published
- 19th century.
- - Armenian Church--Prayers and devotions
- - Incantations, Armenian
- - Also available in digital form.
- - Near East scanned
- 1 scroll : illustrations ; cm x cm
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ateshian, Aram, Archbishop, Associated Name. Hmayil Armenian prayer scroll number 2. 19th Century. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2014373043/.
APA citation style:
Ateshian, A. Hmayil Armenian prayer scroll number 2. 19th Century. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2014373043/.
MLA citation style:
Ateshian, Aram, Archbishop, Associated Name. Hmayil Armenian prayer scroll number 2. 19th Century. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2014373043/>.