Film, Video Through the breakers Unidentified Tayler no. 10: Those who pay / Those who pay
About this Item
- Through the breakers
- Unidentified Tayler no. 10: Those who pay
- Those who pay
- Happily married, Mr. and Mrs. Normand are soon blessed with a child. Unfortunately, as the baby grows up, the Normands become less interested in the child, and more interested in their social lives. By the age of eight, their child is being cared for mostly by the governess. Alone and neglected, the child becomes seriously ill. Alarmed and remorseful, Mr. Normand begs his wife to stay at home with him and care for their child. Mrs. Normand, who does not believe the child is very sick, leaves home to attend a party. While she is gone, the child's condition worsens. Mrs Normand rushes home, but she is too late. Her only child is dead. Mr. Normand blames his wife for the tragedy and leaves her. At her child's graveside, Mrs. Normand grieves and prays for forgiveness. Mr. Normand, also drawn to the grave, overhears and the two are reconciled.
- Griffith, D. W. (David Wark), 1875-1948, direction
- Bitzer, G. W., 1872-1944, camera
- Kirkwood, James, 1875-1963, cast
- Leonard, Marion, 1881-1956, cast
- De Garde, Adele, 1899-1972, cast
- Bruce, Kate, 1858-1946, cast
- Nichols, George, 1864-1927, cast
- Johnson, Arthur V., 1876-1916, cast
- Quirk, Billy, 1873-1926, cast
- Lehrman, Henry, 1886-1946, cast
- Sennett, Mack, 1880-1960, cast
- Pickford, Lottie, 1895-1936, cast
- Hart, Ruth, 1886-1952, cast
- MacPherson, Jeanie, 1887-1946, cast
- Henderson, Grace, 1860-1944, cast
- Crisp, Donald, 1880-1974, cast
- Moore, Owen, 1886-1939, cast
- Harron, Robert, 1894-1920, cast
- Robinson, Gertrude, 1891-1962, cast
- Craig, Charles B., cast
- Evans, Frank (Actor) cast
- Biograph Company
- AFI/Tayler (Dorothy M.) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Biograph Co., 1909.
- - Remorse--Drama
- - Reconciliation--Drama
- - Children--Death--Drama
- - Bereavement--Drama
- Melodramas (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Feature films
- Fiction films
- - J135642 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Biograph Co.; 8Dec1909; J135642.
- - Formerly known as [Unidentified Tayler no. 10: Those who pay].
- - Camera, G.W. Bitzer.
- - James Kirkwood, Marion Leonard, Adele De Garde, Kate Bruce, George O. Nicholls, Arthur Johnson, William A. Quick, Henry Lehman, Mack Sennett, Lottie Pickford?, Ruth Hart, Jeannie MacPherson, Grace Henderson, Donald Crisp, Owen Moore, Robert Harron, Gertrude Robinson, Charles Craig, Frank Evans, J. Waltham.
- - Parts of summary from The Griffith project, v. 3 and Early motion pictures.
- - Biograph production no. 3644.
- - Incomplete: 35 mm. material in the AFI/Tayler Collection is about 5 minutes shorter than Paper Print material. Most of the beginning half of the film is missing, and end title is lacking.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 2946) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Photographed on October 29-30 and November 1-10, 1909 in Edgewater, New Jersey and in the Biograph studio, New York, NY.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 327-328; The Griffith project, v. 3, p. 119-122; Moving picture world, v. 5, p. 847; Biograph bulletins 1908-1912, p. 148.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (387 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (322 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (387 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (322 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 1,000 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 5746 (viewing print)
- FEA 8201 (viewing print)
- FRA 2074 (dupe neg pic)
- FPA 4944 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0394A (paper pos)
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Afi/Tayler (Dorothy M.) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Biograph Company
- Bitzer, G. W.
- Bruce, Kate
- Craig, Charles B.
- Crisp, Donald
- De Garde, Adele
- Evans, Frank
- Griffith, D. W. (David Wark)
- Harron, Robert
- Hart, Ruth
- Henderson, Grace
- Johnson, Arthur V.
- Kirkwood, James
- Lehrman, Henry
- Leonard, Marion
- Macpherson, Jeanie
- Moore, Owen
- Nichols, George
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Pickford, Lottie
- Quirk, Billy
- Robinson, Gertrude
- Sennett, Mack
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bitzer, G. W., Camera, James Kirkwood, Marion Leonard, Adele De Garde, Kate Bruce, George Nichols, Arthur V Johnson, et al. Through the Breakers. directeds by Griffith, D. W. , Ection United States: Biograph Co, 1909. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2014600156/.
APA citation style:
Bitzer, G. W., Kirkwood, J., Leonard, M., De Garde, A., Bruce, K., Nichols, G. [...] Paper Print Collection. (1909) Through the Breakers. Griffith, D. W., dir United States: Biograph Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2014600156/.
MLA citation style:
Bitzer, G. W., Camera, et al. Through the Breakers. dir by Griffith, D. W. , Ection United States: Biograph Co, 1909. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2014600156/>.