Photo, Print, Drawing [The battle of Bunker's Hill, June 17th 1775] / [painted by J. Trumbull ; on stone by A. Hoffy]
About this Item
- [The battle of Bunker's Hill, June 17th 1775] / [painted by J. Trumbull ; on stone by A. Hoffy]
- Print shows British and American soldiers in hand-to-hand combat during the Battle of Bunker Hill; among the soldiers depicted are Major General Joseph Warren, Captain Thomas Gardner, Major Andrew McClary, Colonel William Prescott, Lieutenant Thomas Grovesnor with his African American slave, Colonel Israel Putnam, Rev. Samuel McClintock, Peter Salem, Major Willard Moore, and Lieutenant Colonel Moses Parker. Among the British soldiers are Major John Small, Major John Pitcairn, Lieutenant William Pitcairn, Generals William Howe and Henry Clinton, also Lieutenant Francis Lord Rawdon, and Lieutenant Colonel James Abercrombie.
- Contributor Names
- P.S. Duval & Co.
- Trumbull, John, 1756-1843, artist
- Hoffy, Alfred M., approximately 1790-, lithographer
- Created / Published
- [Philadelphia] : [P.S. Duval Lith.], 
- Subject Headings
- - Warren, Joseph,--1741-1775--Death & burial
- - Prescott, William,--1726-1795
- - Putnam, Israel,--1718-1790
- - Grosvenor, Thomas,--1744-1825
- - Macclintock, Samuel,--1732-1804
- - Salem, Peter,--1750-1816
- - Knowlton, Thomas,--1740-1776
- - Parker, Moses,--1731-1775
- - Small, John,--1726-1796
- - Howe, William Howe,--Viscount,--1729-1814
- - Clinton, Henry,--Sir,--1738?-1795
- - Pitcairn, John,--1722-1775
- - Pitcairn, William,--1711-1791
- - Bunker Hill, Battle of, Boston, Mass., 1775
- - Soldiers--1770-1780
- - War casualties--1770-1780
- - United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783--Campaigns & battles
- Periodical illustrations--1840.
- Proofs before letters--1840.
- - Title from item.
- - After painting by John Trumbull of the same title, now in the collection of the Yale University Art Gallery.
- - Mounted on paper from "Manufacturers and Mechanics Bank, Philadelphia".
- - Stamped on verso: "Gift Louise McDanell Browne in memory of her husband C.A. Browne, April 27, 1948. The Library of Congress".
- - Inscribed in pencil on verso: "Battle of Bunker Hill, Military Magazine".
- - Inscribed in ink on verso: "C.A. Browne".
- - Gift; Louise McDanell Browne, in memory of her husband C.A. Browne; 1948 April 27.
- - Forms part of: Popular graphic art print filing series (Library of Congress).
- - Published in: The United States Military Magazine. Philadelphia : Huddy and Duval, 1840.
- - Exhibited: "The Civil Rights Act of 1964 : A Long Struggle for Freedom" at the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., June 2014 - June 2015.
- 1 print : black and gold lithograph on paper ; sheet 19.6 x 29.6 cm, mount 21.1 x 28.1 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- PGA - Huddy & Duval--Battle of Bunker's Hill ... (A size) [P&P]
- Source Collection
- Popular graphic art print filing series (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
- Digital Id
- pga 00085 //hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pga.00085
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Reproduction Number
- LC-DIG-pga-00085 (digital file from original print)
- Rights Advisory
- No known restrictions on publication.
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- Bunker Hill, Battle Of, Boston, Mass.
- Campaigns & Battles
- Clinton, Henry
- Death & Burial
- Grosvenor, Thomas
- Howe, William Howe
- Knowlton, Thomas
- Macclintock, Samuel
- Parker, Moses
- Periodical Illustrations
- Pitcairn, John
- Pitcairn, William
- Prescott, William
- Proofs Before Letters
- Putnam, Israel
- Salem, Peter
- Small, John
- United States
- War Casualties
- Warren, Joseph
The Library of Congress does not own rights to material in its collections. Therefore, it does not license or charge permission fees for use of such material and cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material.
Ultimately, it is the researcher's obligation to assess copyright or other use restrictions and obtain permission from third parties when necessary before publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections.
For information about reproducing, publishing, and citing material from this collection, as well as access to the original items, see: Popular Graphic Arts Collection - Rights and Restrictions Information
- Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
- Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-pga-00085 (digital file from original print)
- Call Number: PGA - Huddy & Duval--Battle of Bunker's Hill ... (A size) [P&P]
- Access Advisory: ---
If an image is displaying, you can download it yourself. (Some images display only as thumbnails outside the Library of Congress because of rights considerations, but you have access to larger size images on site.)
Alternatively, you can purchase copies of various types through Library of Congress Duplication Services.
- If a digital image is displaying: The qualities of the digital image partially depend on whether it was made from the original or an intermediate such as a copy negative or transparency. If the Reproduction Number field above includes a reproduction number that starts with LC-DIG..., then there is a digital image that was made directly from the original and is of sufficient resolution for most publication purposes.
If there is information listed in the Reproduction Number field above:
You can use the reproduction number to purchase a copy from Duplication Services. It will be
made from the source listed in the parentheses after the number.
If only black-and-white ("b&w") sources are listed and you desire a copy showing color or tint (assuming the original has any), you can generally purchase a quality copy of the original in color by citing the Call Number listed above and including the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
- If there is no information listed in the Reproduction Number field above: You can generally purchase a quality copy through Duplication Services. Cite the Call Number listed above and include the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
Price lists, contact information, and order forms are available on the Duplication Services Web site.
Access to Originals
Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.
Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)
Yes, the item is digitized.
Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be
viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some
cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of
Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights
As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
- No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.
- Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions.
Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?
- Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
- No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.
- If you do not see a thumbnail image or a reference to another surrogate, please fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room. In many cases, the originals can be served in a few minutes. Other materials require appointments for later the same day or in the future. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served.
To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
P.S. Duval & Co, John Trumbull, and Alfred M Hoffy. The battle of Bunker's Hill, June 17th/ painted by J. Trumbull ; on stone by A. Hoffy. United States, 1840. [Philadelphia: P.S. Duval Lith] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2014645332/.
APA citation style:
P.S. Duval & Co, Trumbull, J. & Hoffy, A. M. (1840) The battle of Bunker's Hill, June 17th/ painted by J. Trumbull ; on stone by A. Hoffy. United States, 1840. [Philadelphia: P.S. Duval Lith] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2014645332/.
MLA citation style:
P.S. Duval & Co, John Trumbull, and Alfred M Hoffy. The battle of Bunker's Hill, June 17th/ painted by J. Trumbull ; on stone by A. Hoffy. [Philadelphia: P.S. Duval Lith] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2014645332/>.
More Photos, Prints, Drawings like this
Photo, Print, DrawingThe battle at Bunker's Hill near Boston. June 17, 1775 1 print : engraving on laid paper ; image 14.9 x 21.6 cm, sheet 21.8 x 26.4 cm, mount 23.5 x 29 cm | Print shows British and American soldiers in hand-to-hand...
- Contributor: Archer & Boilly - Trumbull, John - Walker, Samuel, Active
- Date: 1834
Photo, Print, DrawingThe death of Warren 1 print : etching. | Print shows Joseph Warren on bended knee, right hand over chest, left hand on rifle for support, after being mortally wounded during the battle of Bunker Hill,...
- Contributor: Norman, John - Brackenridge, H. H. (Hugh Henry)
- Date: 1776
Photo, Print, DrawingThe battle at Bunker's Hill - the path to liberty is bloody (Franklin) 1 print : engraving ; plate 29.8 x 37.5 cm, on sheet 35.3 x 48.7 cm. | Print shows an idealized view of the battle at Bunker Hill, Boston, between colonists and...
- Contributor: Gimbrede, Joseph Napoleon - Trumbull, John - Irwin, James
- Date: 1861
Photo, Print, DrawingContemplez l'ouvrage de pouvoir arbitraire 1 print : engraving. | Print shows an imaginary scene depicting the funeral of Joseph Warren.
- Contributor: Patas, Jean-Baptiste - Lebarbier, Jean Jacques François
- Date: 1782
Photo, Print, DrawingSurrender of General Burgoyne at Saratoga N.Y. Oct. 17th. 1777 1 print : lithograph. | Print shows British General Burgoyne trying to surrender his sword to General Horatio Gates after the Battle of Saratoga.
- Contributor: N. Currier (Firm) - Trumbull, John
- Date: 1852