Manuscript/Mixed Material Libro de arte coquinaria Libro de arte coqvinaria
About this Item
- Libro de arte coquinaria
- Other Title
- Libro de arte coqvinaria
- Contributor Names
- Maestro Martino.
- Vehling, Joseph Dommers, 1879-1950, former owner.
- Bitting, A. W. (Arvill Wayne), 1870-1946, former owner.
- Bitting, K. G. (Katherine Golden), 1869-1937, former owner.
- Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- [Northern Italy?], [between 1460 and 1480?]
- Subject Headings
- - Cooking, Italian--Early works to 1800
- - Cooking--Italy--Early works to 1800
- - Manuscripts, Italian--Washington (D.C.)
- - Ms. codex.
- - Italian.
- - Title from caption, leaf 2.
- - The 64 textual leaves are preceded by one blank leaf and followed by 18 blank leaves. Manuscript recipe on rear pastedown in a different hand. Foliated in pencil in a modern hand.
- - Written in a humanistic hand in two tones of brown ink; 31 lines; vertical catchwords; scribal practice on the verso of leaf 83.
- - The scribe may have been Antonio Toffio. Cf. P. Shaw. "A note on the calligraphy" in Libro de arte coquinaria ... 1st ed., Octavo ed. Oakland, CA : Octavo, 2005 (CD ROM).
- - Has ink stamp shelf mark: Bibl. Vehling (with in ms.) 645. Formerly had the shelf mark (in the Library of Congress) of Med. & Ren. MS Coll 153.
- - Ricci, S. de. Census of medieval and Renaissance manuscripts in the United States and Canada, page 669, no. 1
- - Bond, W.H. Supplement to the Census of medieval and Renaissance manuscripts in the United States and Canada, page 123, no. 153
- - Photographic reproduction and transcription available in Maestro Martino. Libro de arte coquinaria ... Milano : Terziaria, 1990. English translation available in Maestro Martino. The art of cooking ... Berkeley : University of California Press, c2005. Images and essays also available in: Libro de arte coquinaria. Oakland, CA : Octavo, 2005 (CD ROM).
- - Purchased by Dr. A.W. Bitting for the collection of his wife, Katherine G. Bitting, and presented to the Library of Congress, 29 Jan. 1941. Previously owned by Joseph D. Vehling, with his bookplate. With a dealer's description tipped onto the rear paste-down, dating it to ca. 1450. Inscription on the rear paste-down; inscription on leaf 1 (blank) verso: Liber meu[m?] Raphaelis Baldoli.
- - Contemporary paneled calf binding over wooden boards, possibly Paduan.
- - Portions of the description by Dr. Ilya Dines. he04 2017-10-18
- - LAC ael 2021-08-12 update (1 card)
- 83 leaves : paper ; 227 x 142 mm
- Call Number/Physical Location
- TX723 .M3 1460
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
- Bitting, A. W. (Arvill Wayne)
- Bitting, K. G. (Katherine Golden)
- Maestro Martino
- Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Collection (Library of Congress)
- Vehling, Joseph Dommers
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Maestro Martino, Joseph Dommers Vehling, A. W Bitting, K. G Bitting, and Medieval And Renaissance Manuscripts Collection. Libro De Arte Coquinaria. [Northern italy?, between 1460 and 1480?, 1460] Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2014660856/.
APA citation style:
Maestro Martino, Vehling, J. D., Bitting, A. W., Bitting, K. G. & Medieval And Renaissance Manuscripts Collection. (1460) Libro De Arte Coquinaria. [Northern italy?, between 1460 and 1480?] [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2014660856/.
MLA citation style:
Maestro Martino, et al. Libro De Arte Coquinaria. [Northern italy?, between 1460 and 1480?, 1460] Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2014660856/>.
More Manuscripts/Mixed Material like this
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialStoria delle navig. [i.e. navigazioni] del Colo. [i.e. Colombo, or Colocut].
Storia delle navig. del Colo. | Storia delle navigazioni del Colombo, or Colocut Ms. Title from spine of early 19th-century binding. In Venetian dialect of Italian. The codex assembles in one copy made ca. 1503 a number of reports dating from 1501 to ca. 1503,...
- Contributor: Anghiera, Pietro Martire D - Sá, João De - Trevisan, Angelo - Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1503
Manuscript/Mixed Material[Breviary]. Ms. Written in Paris. The primary contents, written probably in the 3rd quarter of the 13th cent., are on leaves 18-505 (as foliated in modern pencil). Additional matter added closer to 1300...
- Contributor: Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Collection (Library of Congress) - Catholic Church
- Date: 1260
Manuscript/Mixed Material[Benedictine rule for nuns in Middle English ; a Middle English version of the Gospel of ... Ms. codex. Middle English; some Latin. Title and description derived from the full description in Library of Congress. Medieval and Renaissance manuscript books in the Library of Congress, v. 2, p. 143-154,...
- Contributor: Benedict - Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1400
Manuscript/Mixed Material[Thesaurus pauperum, in Italian ; Nicolaus, Experimenta in Italian ; On the medicinal value of precious ... Manuscript. In Italian and Latin. Title from de Ricci. Thin yellowish parchment, 2 columns, written in brown ink in several hands; 37 lines; foliation is later, in brown ink, with 43 appearing...
- Contributor: Albertus - Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Collection (Library of Congress) - Kunz, George Frederick - John XXI
- Date: 1300
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialDissegni originali dell' edizione di Palladio di Giorgis Fossati. Drawings in pen and ink and wash intended for engraving by Fossati and for inclusion in vol. 10 of Muttoni's edition of Andrea Palladio's Architettura (Venice, 1740-48); vol. 10 was never published....
- Contributor: Muttoni, Francesco - Palladio, Andrea - Fossati, Giorgio - Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1739