Notated Music [Recitative and aria].
About this Item
- [Recitative and aria].
- Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus, 1756-1791, composer.
- Jahn, Otto, 1813-1869, former owner.
- Schirmer, G. (Gustav), 1829-1893, former owner.
- Warren, Samuel P. (Samuel Prowse), 1841-1915, former owner.
Created / Published
- Ergo interest [Recitative] -- Quaere superna [Aria].
- Sacred music
- - Sacred recitative and aria (Ergo interest -- quaere superna) for soprano with orchestral accompaniment.
- - Cataloger devised title.
- - Holograph.
- - In ink.
- - "239"--Caption.
- - "acc. 394523"--Page 7 verso.
- - In very much later hands in upper margin of first page principally this note: "No. 2. Aria für einen Soprano. Von Mozart und seiner Handschrift." Described under no. 143 by Köchel, first edition, 1862 as "im Besitz von Prof. O. Jahn in Bonn" ; in second ed., 1905 as "im Besitz von G. Schirmer in New York." In our priced catalogue (1870) of Otto Jahn's library it figures as no. 955 and was sold for 11 Thaler! In de Wyzewa and de Saint-Foix "W.A. Mozart," 1912 the composition is described under no. 79 as "Ms. dans une collection de New York." The Library of Congress acquired it on Oct. 26, 1916 at the auction sale of the musical library of the late Samuel P. Warren together with an enclosed note of authentification by the firm of Max Cohen & Sohn, co-auctioneers of the Jahn library, of date Bonn, June 1, 1871. The genuineness of the autograph appears beyond doubt from a comparison with the Mozart autograph facsimiles in our collection. De Wyzewa and de Saint-Foix (v. I, p. 284-285) give the history of this aria, tracing the earliest mention of it to Leopold Mozart's letter of Milan, February 3, 1770. Accordingly the aria appears to have been the second of the "2 Lateinische Motetti ... für 2 castraten, deren einer 15 der andere 16 Jahre alt ist", which Wolfgang was just then composing. This agrees with Jahn's deductions. O.G.S., Nov. 8, 1916.
- - Purchase; Oct. 26, 1916.
- - Latin words.
- - Staff notation.
- 1 score (7 unnumbered pages) ; 23 x 30 cm
Call Number/Physical Location
- ML96 .M97
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jahn, Otto, Former Owner, G Schirmer, and Samuel P Warren. Recitative and Aria. composeds by Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus, Oser  Notated Music. https://www.loc.gov/item/2015563417/.
APA citation style:
Jahn, O., Schirmer, G. & Warren, S. P. (1770) Recitative and Aria. Mozart, W. A., comp [Notated Music] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2015563417/.
MLA citation style:
Jahn, Otto, Former Owner, G Schirmer, and Samuel P Warren. Recitative and Aria. comp by Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus, Oser  Notated Music. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2015563417/>.