Film, Video A gold necklace
About this Item
- A gold necklace
- Mazie lends her gold necklace to her friend Nellie, who loses it. She and her boyfriend, Sam, look for it in vain. Sam, thinking it belongs to Nellie, promises to replace it, and she describes it to him in detail. Meanwhile, the necklace has been found and returned it to Mazie. Sam sees it on Mazie (whom he does not know is Nellie's friend). He insists on buying it from her, and gives it to Nellie, who, of course, returns it to Mazie. Sam again sees Mazie wearing the necklace, and thinks she has stolen it. His valet, taking the matter in hand, snatches the necklace off the astonished Mazie, who runs for the constable. They all converge on Sam, who is returning the necklace to the confused Nellie. With everyone assembled, all is explained and peace is restored.
- Powell, Frank E., 1877- direction
- Woods, Frank E., writing
- Marvin, Arthur W., 1861-1911, camera
- Pickford, Mary, 1892-1979, cast
- Sennett, Mack, 1880-1960, cast
- Pickford, Lottie, 1895-1936, cast
- Bruce, Kate, 1858-1946, cast
- Davenport, Dorothy, 1896-1977, cast
- Dillon, Edward, 1880-1933, cast
- MacPherson, Jeanie, 1887-1946, cast
- Mersereau, Violet, 1892-1975, cast
- West, Charles H., 1885-1943, cast
- Henderson, Dell, 1877-1956, cast
- LaBadie, Florence, 1888-1917, cast
- Craig, Charles B., cast
- Biograph Company
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Biograph Co., 1910.
- - Mistakes--Humor
- - Lost articles--Humor
- - Necklaces--Humor
- Comedy films
- Silent films
- Short films
- Fiction films
- - J146227 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Biograph Co.; 8Oct1910; J145227.
- - Mary Pickford, Mack Sennett, Lottie Pickford, Kate Bruce, Dorothy Davenport, Edward Dillon, Jeanie MacPherson, Violet Mersereau, Charles West, Dell Henderson, Florence La Badie, Charles Craig.
- - Camera, Arthur Marvin.
- - Niver's Early motion pictures gives the 16 mm. footage as 321 feet. C. Schmidt's website, The Search for a Film Legacy: Mary Pickford, gives measured footage of the same elements as 232 feet, or about 6 minutes. According to the Biograph bulletins, 1908-1912, the original 35 mm. length of the film was 576 feet, or about 6 minutes. Estimated footage of paper roll is based on original footage.
- - LC has two viewable video files, one is about 10 minutes in duration, the other is about 6 minutes in duration. Unable to determine the difference between the files, as both are out of sequence, contain flash frames, and lack interior titles.
- - Photographed August 26 and August 29-31 in Cuddebackville, New York and in the Biograph studio in New York City.
- - Biograph production no. 3741.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 000X; Unidentified box X) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 122; Biograph production logs; Biograph bulletins, 1908-1912, p. 236; Christel Schmidt's The Search for a Film Legacy: Mary Pickford (1909-1933) WWW site, viewed April 13, 2015; Internet movie database WWW site, viewed April 13, 2015.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- 1 video file (digital, MPEG-4) (ca. 6 min.) : si., b&w.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (232 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (232 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 575 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 5412 (viewing print)
- FRA 2831 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 1207A (paper pos)
Library of Congress Control Number
- Restricted: video files available on-site only. Access by appointment.
Additional Metadata Formats
- Biograph Company
- Bruce, Kate
- Craig, Charles B.
- Davenport, Dorothy
- Dillon, Edward
- Henderson, Dell
- Labadie, Florence
- Macpherson, Jeanie
- Marvin, Arthur W.
- Mersereau, Violet
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Pickford, Lottie
- Pickford, Mary
- Powell, Frank E.
- Sennett, Mack
- West, Charles H.
- Woods, Frank E.
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Powell, Frank E., Direction, Frank E Woods, Arthur W Marvin, Mary Pickford, Mack Sennett, Lottie Pickford, Kate Bruce, et al. A Gold Necklace. United States: Biograph Co, 1910. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2015600160/.
APA citation style:
Powell, F. E., Woods, F. E., Marvin, A. W., Pickford, M., Sennett, M., Pickford, L. [...] Paper Print Collection. (1910) A Gold Necklace. United States: Biograph Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2015600160/.
MLA citation style:
Powell, Frank E., Direction, et al. A Gold Necklace. United States: Biograph Co, 1910. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2015600160/>.