Film, Video The life of Buffalo Bill. Parts I-III Life of Buffalo Bill / Erroneous title: Buffalo Bill's Wild West and Pawnee Bill's Far East
About this Item
- The life of Buffalo Bill. Parts I-III
- Life of Buffalo Bill
- Erroneous title: Buffalo Bill's Wild West and Pawnee Bill's Far East
- Several events from Buffalo Bill Cody's life are reenacted in the form of dreamed flashbacks. Many scenes are from the Wild West show scenarios, including Buffalo Bill taking the scalp of Yellow Hand, an Indian attack on a wagon train, and a posse chase of a bandit named "Buck McCandell". The film is bookended by shots of the real Buffalo Bill preparing to nap at the beginning, and then awakening at the end.
- O'Brien, John B., direction
- Buffalo Bill & Pawnee Bill Film Co
- Ernst (Louise) Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Buffalo Bill & Pawnee Bill Film Co., 1912.
- - Buffalo Bill,--1846-1917--Drama
- - Entertainers--United States--Drama
- - Scouts (Reconnaissance)--West (U.S.)--Drama
- - Pioneers--West (U.S.)--Drama
- - Frontier and pioneer life--West (U.S.)--Drama
- Biographical films
- Historical films
- Short films
- Silent films
- Fiction films
- - J170003 J170004 J170005 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Buffalo Bill & Pawnee Bill Film Co.; 8Jun1912: J170003-05.
- - Appearing: William F. Cody.
- - Beginning and end titles lacking.
- - Title of film from interior title. Although interior titles exist for part II and part III, and there are three copyright registration numbers, the three parts do not appear to have been distributed or shown separately.
- - Sources used: Sandra Sagala's Buffalo Bill on the silver screen, p. 32-52; The William F. Cody Archive WWW sited, viewed June 8, 2015.
- - 16 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FRA 3682 to FSC 0781.
- 1 video file (digital, MPEG-4) (26 min.) : si., b&w.
- viewing print 1 film reel (436 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel (436 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- non-viewing print 1 film reel (436 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 1402 (viewing print)
- FSC 0781 (dupe neg pic)
- FRA 3683 (non-viewing print)
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Buffalo Bill & Pawnee Bill Film Co, and Ernst. The life of Buffalo Bill. Parts I-III. directeds by O'Brien, John B.Ection United States: Buffalo Bill & Pawnee Bill Film Co, 1912. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2015600175/.
APA citation style:
Buffalo Bill & Pawnee Bill Film Co & Ernst. (1912) The life of Buffalo Bill. Parts I-III. O'Brien, J. B. E., dir United States: Buffalo Bill & Pawnee Bill Film Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2015600175/.
MLA citation style:
Buffalo Bill & Pawnee Bill Film Co, and Ernst. The life of Buffalo Bill. Parts I-III. dir by O'Brien, John B.Ection United States: Buffalo Bill & Pawnee Bill Film Co, 1912. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2015600175/>.