About this Item
- William Rea Furlong map collection.
- William Rea Furlong was a United States Navy Rear Admiral during World War II, who also served in the Navy during World War I. The collection consists of World War I-era maps and charts. One chart from 1918 depicts German and British minefields along the coast of England and a portion of continental Europe. Other items are nautical charts of Aegean Sea with annotations.
- Furlong, William Rea, 1881-1976.
- Great Britain. Hydrographic Department. cartographer.
Created / Published
- [Various places] : [various publishers], 1870-1918.
- - World War, 1914-1918--Europe--Maps
- - Railroads--France--Maps
- - North Sea--Maps
- - Aegean Sea--Maps
- - Europe
- - North Sea
- - Aegean Sea
- Military Maps
- Manuscript maps
- - Transferred from Manuscript Division. Originally part of William Rea Furlong Papers.
- - Transfer ; LC Manuscript Division.
- - In English and French.
- - Finding aid available in the Geography and Map Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/eadgmd.gm016004
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 5 maps : some colored ; various sizes.
- 1 folder.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G5701.S65 coll .F8
- Furlong, William Rea, 1881-1976. William Rea Furlong papers
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/gmd.home
Library of Congress Control Number
- Open to research.
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Furlong, William Rea, and Great Britain. Hydrographic Department. Cartographer. William Rea Furlong map collection. [Various places: various publishers, to 1918, 1870] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2016586588/.
APA citation style:
Furlong, W. R. & Great Britain. Hydrographic Department. Cartographer. (1870) William Rea Furlong map collection. [Various places: various publishers, to 1918] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2016586588/.
MLA citation style:
Furlong, William Rea, and Great Britain. Hydrographic Department. Cartographer. William Rea Furlong map collection. [Various places: various publishers, to 1918, 1870] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2016586588/>.