Map [Plat of the Great City of the Valley of the Great Salt Lake]
About this Item
- [Plat of the Great City of the Valley of the Great Salt Lake]
- Sherwood, Henry Garlick, 1785-1867, cartographer, surveyor.
- Pratt, Orson, 1811-1881, cartographer, surveyor.
Created / Published
- - Salt Lake City (Utah)--Maps
- - Salt Lake City (Utah)--History--Maps
- - Salt Lake City (Utah)--Historical geography--Maps
- - Salt Lake City (Utah)--Surveys--Maps
- - Real property--Utah--Salt Lake City--Maps
- - United States--Utah--Salt Lake City
- Manuscript maps
- Cadastral maps
- - Manuscript plat map, pen-and-ink on thick flexible sheepskin, signed and inscribed by H.G. Sherwood, nailed at the top to its original wooden roller. This manuscript plat map is believed to be the first map of Salt Lake City, Utah.
- - Title supplied by acquisition specialist.
- - Sherwood retained ownership of the plat while the city was being constructed. In 1852, it passed into the hands of Jesse William Fox, Sr., Sherwood's successor as Territory Surveyor General of Utah.
- - Accompanied by text (property of Jesse W. Fox): Engineer's field book / by C.S. Cross. New York : Baptist & Taylor Book, 1855. 43 pages ; 19 cm.
- - Includes notes and diagrams.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 manuscript map : on sheepskin ; 52 x 39 cm + 1 CD-ROM (CD-R : Mormon papers ; 4 3/4 inches)
Call Number/Physical Location
- G4344.S3 1847 .S4
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sherwood, Henry Garlick, Cartographer, Surveyor, and Orson Pratt. Plat of the Great City of the Valley of the Great Salt Lake.  Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2017587026/.
APA citation style:
Sherwood, H. G. & Pratt, O. (1847) Plat of the Great City of the Valley of the Great Salt Lake. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2017587026/.
MLA citation style:
Sherwood, Henry Garlick, Cartographer, Surveyor, and Orson Pratt. Plat of the Great City of the Valley of the Great Salt Lake.  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2017587026/>.