Film, Video Frankenstein
About this Item
- "While he is in college, Frankenstein decides he must attempt to make a perfect human being. The being he creates is given life in a vat of burning chemicals. On the day Frankenstein weds his sweetheart, who has been living patiently at home, he sees the monster he created reflected in a mirror. Having disappeared, the monster returns to his creator to gain acceptance. However, when the creature is in front of the mirror he disappears again, with only his slowly vanishing reflection left. When Frankenstein arrives and stands in front of the same mirror he witnesses the fading image, signifying the monster's destruction in the face of Frankenstein's increased love for his wife and life"--The Frankenstein film sourcebook.
- Dawley, J. Searle, direction, writing
- Edison, Thomas A. (Thomas Alva), 1847-1931, production
- Sosin, Donald, music
- Ogle, Charles, 1865-1940, cast
- Phillips, Augustus, cast
- Fuller, Mary, 1888-1973, cast
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Mfg. Co., 1910 ; United States : Library of Congress National Audio-Visual Conservation Center, .
- - Frankenstein's Monster--(Fictitious character)--Drama
- - Frankenstein, Victor--(Fictitious character)--Drama
- - Scientists--Drama
- - Good and evil--Drama
- - Science--Experiments--Drama
- Mad scientist films
- Monster films
- Horror films
- Silent films
- Short films
- Fiction films
- - Based on the novel by Mary Shelley.
- - Charles Ogle, Augustus Phillips, Mary Fuller.
- - Photographed by James White.
- - Photographed in New York City on January 13, 15, 17, 1910.
- - Sources used: Picart, C. The Frankenstein film sourcebook, p. 86-87; Moving picture world, v. 6, no. 10, March 12, 1910, p. 392; Frankenstein paper print fragment, Thomas Edison National Historical Park.
- 1 video file (digital, MPEG-4) (ca. 13 min.) : sd., b&w (tinted)
- Dettlaff (Alois) Collection (Library of Congress)
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Dawley, J. Searle
- Edison, Thomas A. (Thomas Alva)
- Fuller, Mary
- Ogle, Charles
- Phillips, Augustus
- Sosin, Donald
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sosin, Donald, Music, Charles Ogle, Augustus Phillips, Mary Fuller, and Inc Thomas A. Edison. Frankenstein. directeds by Dawley, J. Searleection, Writing, produceds by Edison, Thomas A. , Uction [United States: Edison Mfg. Co., ; United States: Library of Congress National Audio-Visual Conservation Center, 2017, 2017] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2017600664/.
APA citation style:
Sosin, D., Ogle, C., Phillips, A., Fuller, M. & Thomas A. Edison, I. (2017) Frankenstein. Dawley, J. S., dir, Edison, T. A., prod [United States: Edison Mfg. Co., ; United States: Library of Congress National Audio-Visual Conservation Center, 2017] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2017600664/.
MLA citation style:
Sosin, Donald, Music, et al. Frankenstein. dir by Dawley, J. Searleection, Writing, prod by Edison, Thomas A. , Uction [United States: Edison Mfg. Co., ; United States: Library of Congress National Audio-Visual Conservation Center, 2017, 2017] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2017600664/>.