Audio Recording The Lowlands low
About this Item
- The Lowlands low
- Ford, Ward H., performer.
- Cowell, Sidney Robertson, 1903-1995, collector.
Created / Published
- - Songs, English--California--Central Valley
- Field recordings
- Sound recordings
- - Dust jacket notes inscribed by Sidney Robertson Cowell: AFS 4194 A2 is a recording of a fragment (2 verses) of the "The Lowlands low;" AFS 4194 A3 repeats this, with a different refrain as sung by Warde Ford's Uncle Rob Walker.
- - Warde Ford, unaccompanied vocals.
- - Recorded by Sidney Robertson Cowell in Central Valley, California on December 25, 1938.
- - Forms part of a group of field materials documenting Warde Ford performing Anglo-American songs on December 25, 26, and 27, 1938, and Septebmer 4, 1939, collected by Sidney Robertson Cowell in Boomtown [Central Valley], Shasta County, California.
- on 2 bands of 1 sound disc : analog, 78 rpm ; 12 in.
- Forms part of: W.P.A. California Folk Music Project collection
- Library of Congress Archive of Folk Culture, American Folklife Center, 101 Independence Ave. S.E., Washington, DC USA 20540-4610 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.home
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
The sound recordings were collected by a field researcher employed by the U.S. Government under the auspices of the WPA from 1938 to 1940 (Works Progress Administration Official Project Number 665-08-3-30, Unit A25). Transcriptions of the sound recordings were prepared by U.S. Government employees. Generally speaking, works created by U.S. Government employees are not eligible for copyright protection in the United States. Note, however, that the persons interviewed or whose words were transcribed were not employees of the U.S. Government. Privacy and publicity rights may apply. While the Library is not aware of any copyright in the materials in this collection, users should be aware of possible rights particularly in the underlying works in the sound recordings.
The Library would like to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or have additional information about their history.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
W.P.A. California Folk Music Project collection (AFC 1940/001), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Cowell, Sidney Robertson, Collector. The Lowlands low. performeds by Ford, Ward H 1938. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/2017700879/.
APA citation style:
Cowell, S. R. (1938) The Lowlands low. Ford, W. H., performer [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2017700879/.
MLA citation style:
Cowell, Sidney Robertson, Collector. The Lowlands low. performer by Ford, Ward H 1938. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2017700879/>.