Film, Video All-American news. [1945-09] Inventory title: All American news 11 / Inventory title: All American news XI / All American news 11 / All American news XI
About this Item
- All-American news. [1945-09]
- Inventory title: All American news 11
- Inventory title: All American news XI
- All American news 11
- All American news XI
- All-American news were the first newsreels produced for a black audience. Made in the 1940s and 1950s, they were originally intended to encourage black Americans to participate in, and support the war effort, and to reflect an African-American perspective on world and national events. Highlights of this issue include segments about the 16th annual Bud Billiken Day celebration in Chicago, on August 11, 1945, and American troops landing in Manila, Philippines in August, 1945.
- Alexander, William D., production
- Glucksman, E. M. (Emanuel M.), production
- Barnett, Claude, 1889-1967, production
- All American News, Inc
Created / Published
- Thousands at Billiken Day, editor stages 16th annual kids party (1 min., 50 sec.) -- Personality in the news, Mrs. Fauset, former member of Penn. legislature (20 sec.) -- Makes living unique way, Virginia man puts burnt matches to use (30 sec.) -- Elk stage celebration, Knoxville Lodge marks Emancipation Day (55 sec.) -- Troops land in Manila, come direct from Europe to Pacific (1 min., 35 sec.).
- - African Americans--Social life and customs
- - World War, 1939-1945--Participation, African American
- - Fauset, Crystal Dreda Bird,--1893-1965
- - Kellum, David W.,--1903-1981
- - Bud Billiken Day
- - Bud Billiken Parade--(16th :--1945 :--Chicago, Ill.)
- - African American soldiers--Philippines--Manila
- Nonfiction films
- - Date in title and possible date of release from MacDonald & Associates, Ltd. Films catalogue.
- - Appearing: Crystal Bird Fauset, David W. Kellum.
- - Some footage provided by the United States Army Signal Corps.
- - Cannot confirm that newsreel stories are in the same order, or on the same reel as when originally released.
- - Sources used: Moon, S., Reel Black talk, p. 3-6; Sampson, H., Blacks in black and white, p. 437-440; Wheeler, R. "News for all Americans" in American visions, Feb.-Mar. 1993, p. 40, viewed online, June 22, 2018 via Academic OneFile; M/B/RS Acquisition files (J. Fred MacDonald file), MacDonald & Associates, Ltd. Films catalogue, VI. African-American Newsreels; Proceedings of the City Council of the City of Chicago, July-December, 1945, p. 3824, viewed online via Internet Archive WWW site, July 27, 2018; Arkansas State Press (Little Rock, Arkansas), 09-07-1945, Page 2, viewed online July 27, 2018 via NewsBank/Readex, Database: America's Historical Newspapers (Victory In The Pacific, Record of Negro Achievement In the War).
- 1 video file (digital, MPEG-4) (ca. 6 min.) : sd., b&w.
- MacDonald (J. Fred and Leslie W.) Collection (Library of Congress)
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
All American News, Inc. All-American news. -09. produceds by Alexander, William D.Uction, Glucksman, E. M. Uction, and Barnett, Claude, Uction  Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018600165/.
APA citation style:
All American News, I. (1945) All-American news. -09. Alexander, W. D. U., Glucksman, E. M. U. & Barnett, C., prods [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018600165/.
MLA citation style:
All American News, Inc. All-American news. -09. prod by Alexander, William D.Uction, Glucksman, E. M. Uction, and Barnett, Claude, Uction  Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018600165/>.