Film, Video Boy meets dog
About this Item
- Boy meets dog
- Musical animated film in which a boy adopts a stray dog. His father kicks the dog and is carried off to the land of gnomes where he is put on trial. The through-line is proper tooth brushing techniques.
- Lantz, Walter, direction, production
- Bletcher, Billy, 1894-1979, cast
- Tetley, Walter, 1915-1975, cast
- Byrnes, Gene, 1889-1974
- Castle Films, inc
- Bristol-Myers Company
Created / Published
- United States : Castle Films, 1940.
- - Human-animal relationships--Caricatures and cartoons
- - Fathers and sons--Caricatures and cartoons
- - Mouth--Care and hygiene--Caricatures and cartoons
- Musical films
- Animated films
- Sponsored films
- Short films
- - Adapted from Gene Byrnes' comic strip Reg'lar fellers.
- - Voices: Billy Bletcher, Walter Tetley, Danny Webb.
- - Music by Frank Churchill ; film editing by Eugene W. Castle.
- - Originally released in 1938 by Caravel Films in technicolor, Library of Congress copy is black and white
- - Sources used: Internet movie database, viewed July 11, 2018; National Film Preservation Foundation WWW site, viewed July 12, 2018; Movie Makers Jan-Dec 1940, volume 15 via Media History Digital Library WWW site, viewed July 26, 2018.
- 1 video file (digital, MPEG-4) (ca. 10 min.) : sd., b&w.
- LC Gift Collection (Library of Congress)
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bletcher, Billy, Cast, Walter Tetley, Gene Byrnes, Inc Castle Films, and Bristol-Myers Company. Boy Meets Dog. directeds by Lantz, Walterectionuction, produceds by Lantz, Walterectionuction United States: Castle Films, 1938. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018601239/.
APA citation style:
Bletcher, B., Tetley, W., Byrnes, G., Castle Films, I. & Bristol-Myers Company. (1938) Boy Meets Dog. Lantz, W., dir, Lantz, W., prod United States: Castle Films. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018601239/.
MLA citation style:
Bletcher, Billy, Cast, et al. Boy Meets Dog. dir by Lantz, Walterectionuction, prod by Lantz, Walterectionuction United States: Castle Films, 1938. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018601239/>.