Photo, Print, Drawing Unfinished journeys / H. Zughaib 2015.
Full online access to this resource is only available at the Library of Congress.
About this Item
- Unfinished journeys / H. Zughaib 2015.
- Print show a pair of mismatched shoes on the corner of a rug.
- Contributor Names
- Zughaib, Helen, 1959-, artist
- Created / Published
- Fairfax, Virginia : Navigation Press, 2015.
- Subject Headings
- - Arab Spring, 2010
- - Refugees--Syria--2010-2020
- - Shoes--2010-2020
- Screen prints--Color--2010-2020.
- Screen prints--Color--2010-2020
- - Caption label from exhibit Art in Action War and Its Impact: Syrian Refugee Crisis. This exquisite image by Lebanese-American artist Helen Zughaib memorializes Syrian refugees who drowned in 2015 while trying to reach the Greek island of Kos, by commemorating one victim, a small boy. Zughaib explains that she chose bright colors and patterns to express ". . . the beauty, hope, and optimism of a child. With these shoes, I am hoping someone will try to imagine their own children in this situation." The blue Islamic-inspired patterning, watery swirls, dark background, and corner placement of shoes, as when entering a mosque, all suggest a prayerful memorial.
- - Title from item.
- - Signed and titled in pencil on verso.
- - Blind stamp on lower left corner.
- - From the artist's series: Arab Spring / Unfinished Journeys.
- - Purchase; Helen C. Frederick; 2016; (DLC/PP-2016:098).
- - Exhibited: "Art in Action : Herblock and Fellow Artists Respond to Their Times" in the Graphic Arts Gallery, Thomas Jefferson Building, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., January 31 - August 17, 2019.
- 1 print : color screenprint ; sheet 71.1 x 48.2 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Unprocessed in PR 13 CN 2016:098.09 [item] [P&P]
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
- Digital Id
- ppmsca 55788 //hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ppmsca.55788
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Reproduction Number
- LC-DIG-ppmsca-55788 (digital file from original print)
- Rights Advisory
- Publication may be restricted. For information see "Helen Zughaib...," https://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/330_zugh.html
- Access Advisory
- Served by appointment (Unprocessed). To make a request, see "Access to Unprocessed Materials," https://www.loc.gov/rr/print/info/022_unpr.html
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
- Rights Advisory: Publication may be restricted. For information see "Helen Zughaib...," https://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/330_zugh.html
- Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-55788 (digital file from original print)
- Call Number: Unprocessed in PR 13 CN 2016:098.09 [item] [P&P]
- Access Advisory: Served by appointment (Unprocessed). To make a request, see "Access to Unprocessed Materials," https://www.loc.gov/rr/print/info/022_unpr.html
If an image is displaying, you can download it yourself. (Some images display only as thumbnails outside the Library of Congress because of rights considerations, but you have access to larger size images on site.)
Alternatively, you can purchase copies of various types through Library of Congress Duplication Services.
- If a digital image is displaying: The qualities of the digital image partially depend on whether it was made from the original or an intermediate such as a copy negative or transparency. If the Reproduction Number field above includes a reproduction number that starts with LC-DIG..., then there is a digital image that was made directly from the original and is of sufficient resolution for most publication purposes.
If there is information listed in the Reproduction Number field above:
You can use the reproduction number to purchase a copy from Duplication Services. It will be
made from the source listed in the parentheses after the number.
If only black-and-white ("b&w") sources are listed and you desire a copy showing color or tint (assuming the original has any), you can generally purchase a quality copy of the original in color by citing the Call Number listed above and including the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
- If there is no information listed in the Reproduction Number field above: You can generally purchase a quality copy through Duplication Services. Cite the Call Number listed above and include the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
Price lists, contact information, and order forms are available on the Duplication Services Web site.
Access to Originals
Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.
Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)
Yes, the item is digitized.
Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be
viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some
cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of
Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights
As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
- No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.
- Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions.
Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?
- Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
- No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.
- If you do not see a thumbnail image or a reference to another surrogate, please fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room. In many cases, the originals can be served in a few minutes. Other materials require appointments for later the same day or in the future. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served.
To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Zughaib, Helen, Artist. Unfinished journeys / H. Zughaib. Syria, 2015. Fairfax, Virginia: Navigation Press. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018647589/.
APA citation style:
Zughaib, H. (2015) Unfinished journeys / H. Zughaib. Syria, 2015. Fairfax, Virginia: Navigation Press. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018647589/.
MLA citation style:
Zughaib, Helen, Artist. Unfinished journeys / H. Zughaib. Fairfax, Virginia: Navigation Press. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018647589/>.
More Photos, Prints, Drawings like this
Photo, Print, DrawingArab spring 1 drawing : gouache and ink on illustration board ; board 77 x 51 cm. | Drawing shows Middle Eastern woman in abaya looking hopefully towards the future behind a screen of...
- Contributor: Zughaib, Helen
- Date: 2011
Photo, Print, DrawingInka's shoes 1 print : color screenprint; sheet 53 x 59 cm. | Print shows artist Inka Essenhigh's shoes covered with paint splatters.
- Contributor: Fig, Joe
- Date: 2007
Photo, Print, DrawingSyrian migration series #14 1 drawing : gouache and ink on board, sheet 31 x 46 cm. | Drawing shows backs of women and men entering through doors to Turkey, France, and Germany.
- Contributor: Zughaib, Helen
- Date: 2016
Photo, Print, DrawingPrayer rug for America 1 print (digital print) : inkjet, color ; image 49.5 x 33.5 cm., on sheet 58 x 41.5 cm. | Print combines American patriotic imagery with traditional motifs related to Islamic prayer...
- Contributor: Zughaib, Helen
- Date: 2001
Photo, Print, DrawingLa princesse de l'est V 1 print : screen, color ; 40 x 40 cm.
- Contributor: College Women's Association of Japan - Inoue, Kozo
- Date: 2000