Manuscript/Mixed Material [Registered letter from Hull, England, regarding water torture cell, 1913].
About this Item
- [Registered letter from Hull, England, regarding water torture cell, 1913].
- In this registered letter typed on his engraved letterhead in Hull, England, on February 1, 1913, Houdini announces and describes his new Water Torture Cell escape trick, and warns British theatrical managers that he will hold them responsible for any infringement of his exclusive rights to it. Accompanying envelope on next page in scrapbook is addressed to C. Howard Watson in London, with cancelled stamp and registration ink stamp dated Feb. 13 from Hull.
- Houdini, Harry, 1874-1926.
- Watson, C. Howard, recipient, addressee.
- Teale, Oscar S. (Oscar Schutte), 1848-1927, former owner.
- McManus-Young Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- - Houdini, Harry,--1874-1926--Correspondence
- - Watson, C. Howard--Correspondence
- - Magic tricks
- - Title devised by Library staff.
- - From the Oscar Teale Houdini scrapbook held by the Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Library of Congress, page .
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress website.
- - Record converted from American Memory pseudomarc; td12 completed
- 1 sheet : 1 illustration (steel engraving) ; 26 x 21 cm
Call Number/Physical Location
- GV1542 .M32 1845, Box 32A
- Library of Congress Rare Book and Special Collections Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Houdini, Harry, C. Howard Watson, Oscar S Teale, and Mcmanus-Young Collection. Registered letter from Hull, England, regarding water torture cell. 1913. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018682497/.
APA citation style:
Houdini, H., Watson, C. H., Teale, O. S. & Mcmanus-Young Collection. (1913) Registered letter from Hull, England, regarding water torture cell. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018682497/.
MLA citation style:
Houdini, Harry, et al. Registered letter from Hull, England, regarding water torture cell. 1913. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018682497/>.