Photo, Print, Drawing Moleben pri zakladke zdanii︠a︡ Ėkonomicheskogo fonda. Молебен при закладке здания Экономического фонда.
About this Item
- Moleben pri zakladke zdanii︠a︡ Ėkonomicheskogo fonda.
- Молебен при закладке здания Экономического фонда.
- Prayer at the Laying of the Foundation for the Building of the Economic Fund.
- This photograph is from a collection consisting of an album and individual photographs preserved in the Aleksandrovsk Municipal History and Literature Museum "A.P. Chekhov and Sakhalin" in Alekandrovsk-Sakhalinskiy, Sakhalin Island (off Russia's southeast coast). The photographs were taken on Sakhalin Island during the late 19th and early 20th centuries and provide rare glimpses of the island's settlements, prisons, and inhabitants. Sakhalin Island was used by imperial Russia as a penal colony and place of exile for criminals and political prisoners. Between 1869 and 1906, more than 30,000 inmates and exiles endured the difficult conditions of the forced-labor colony on the island. Most of the photographs in the collection were taken by Sakhalin artist Ivan Nikolaevich Krasnov, although some are unattributed. The collection depicts public life and institutions in the town of Aleksandrovsk Post, convicts working under harsh conditions or in chains, and political prisoners. The photographs also show the daily life both of the Nivkh people, indigenous to the northern part of the island, and the Russian settler population. The predecessor of the Aleksandrovsk Municipal History and Literature Museum "A.P. Chekhov and Sakhalin" appears in the album's photographs. The museum's name refers to a trip taken to Sakhalin Island by the Russian writer and medical doctor Anton Chekhov in 1890, during which Chekhov researched the plight of island's prisoners and native populations. The publication of his Sakhalin Island in 1895 highlighted the depravity of the situation in this remote corner of Russia and led to public protests that helped bring about the closure of the penal colony. The collection was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
- Krasnov, Ivan Nikolaevich , photographer.
Created / Published
- Sakhalin, post Aleksandrovskiĭ : [publisher not identified], konet︠s︡ XIX-nachalo XX vv.
- - t︠s︡erkov'
- - religii︠a︡
- - svi︠a︡shchennik
- - sobor
- - obri︠a︡d
- - t︠s︡eremonii︠a︡
- - odezhda
- - forma
- - deti
- - nari︠a︡dy
- - voennye
- - Building construction
- - Children
- - Prayer
- - Priests
- - Rites and ceremonies
- - Russian Far East
- - Russian Orthodox Church
- - Siberia
- - Russian Federation
- - Sakhalin Oblast
- - Aleksandrovsk-Sakhalinskiy
- - церковь
- - религия
- - священник
- - собор
- - обряд
- - церемония
- - одежда
- - форма
- - дети
- - наряды
- - военные
- - Original image at: Aleksandrovsk Municipal History and Literature Museum "A.P. Chekhov and Sakhalin"
- - From the photo album "Виды острова Сахалина."
- 1 photograph : black and white ; 17.5 x 22.8 cm.
- Ivan Nikolaevich Krasnov's Views of Sakhalin Island
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Krasnov, Ivan Nikolaevich, photographer. Moleben Pri Zakladke Zdanii︠a︡ Ėkonomicheskogo Fonda. Russian Federation Aleksandrovsk Sakhalin Oblast Sakhalinskiy, 1890. [Sakhalin, post Aleksandrovskiĭ: publisher not identified, konet︠s︡ XIX-nachalo XX vv] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018684025/.
APA citation style:
Krasnov, I. N., photographer. (1890) Moleben Pri Zakladke Zdanii︠a︡ Ėkonomicheskogo Fonda. Russian Federation Aleksandrovsk Sakhalin Oblast Sakhalinskiy, 1890. [Sakhalin, post Aleksandrovskiĭ: publisher not identified, konet︠s︡ XIX-nachalo XX vv] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018684025/.
MLA citation style:
Krasnov, Ivan Nikolaevich, photographer. Moleben Pri Zakladke Zdanii︠a︡ Ėkonomicheskogo Fonda. [Sakhalin, post Aleksandrovskiĭ: publisher not identified, konet︠s︡ XIX-nachalo XX vv] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018684025/>.