Photo, Print, Drawing Postroĭka galerei na 15 verste. Постройка галереи на 15 версте.
About this Item
- Postroĭka galerei na 15 verste.
- Постройка галереи на 15 версте.
- Construction of an Underpass at Verst 15.
- In the second half of the 19th century, Russia underwent a period of extensive rail development that culminated in the construction of the Trans-Siberian Railroad. Akin to the great railroads to the Pacific in both the United States and Canada, Russia's transcontinental line was intended to supply and populate Siberia as well as deliver raw materials to the rapidly developing industries west of the Urals. Working against an ambitious timetable and under severe conditions of climate and terrain, the Russians effectively united the European and Asian parts of the empire by completing this herculean project. The engineering plans provided for the sequential construction of six basic segments. The fourth of these was the Circum-Baikal Railroad from Irkutsk to the eastern side of Lake Baikal. This photograph is from an album of 56 photographs in the Collection of Documentary Materials on the History of the West-Siberian Railroad (1890s-1978) in the Novosibirsk Oblast State Archive. The album documents the construction of this part of the line, focusing on the engineers and workmen building tunnels and trestles along the route. The album was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
- Ministerstvo puteĭ soobshchenii︠a︡.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1900-1904
- - Construction
- - Landscapes
- - Transportation
- - Railroads
- - Mountains
- - Siberia
- - Lake Baikal
- - Iz fotoal'boma "Al'bom postroek i vidov krugobaĭkal'skoĭ zheleznoĭ dorogi. 1900-1904 g.".
- - Original image at: State Archives of Novosibirsk Oblast
- - From the photo album "Альбом построек и видов Кругобайкальской железной дороги. 1900-1904 г."
- - Из фотоальбома "Альбом построек и видов кругобайкальской железной дороги. 1900-1904 г.".
- 1 photograph : 21.5 x 27.0 cm ; black & white photograph.
- Construction and Views of the Circumbaikal Railroad. 1900-1904
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ministerstvo Puteĭ Soobshchenii︠A︡. Postroĭka Galerei Na 15 Verste. , 1900. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1904] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018684770/.
APA citation style:
Ministerstvo Puteĭ Soobshchenii︠A︡. (1900) Postroĭka Galerei Na 15 Verste. , 1900. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1904] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018684770/.
MLA citation style:
Ministerstvo Puteĭ Soobshchenii︠A︡. Postroĭka Galerei Na 15 Verste. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1904] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018684770/>.