Photo, Print, Drawing Paskha na snegu. Irkutsk. Пасха на снегу. Иркутск.
About this Item
- Paskha na snegu. Irkutsk.
- Пасха на снегу. Иркутск.
- A Snowy Easter in Irkutsk. An Easter Meal.
- Boris Vasilievich Smirnov (1881-1954) was a Russian artist who in 1904 traveled by prisoner transport from western Russia across Siberia. Along the way he created a series of drawings and watercolors of the people and places he encountered. Best known as a portraitist, Smirnov focused on the faces of the men and women he met, who included exiles, prisoners, settlers from Ukraine and western Russia, local military and civilian officials, peasants and merchants. His works from this period also include a handful of drawings of houses and landscapes. The sketches were made in the Ural Mountains, Irkutsk, Omsk, Krasnoyarsk, and in villages along the route. The details of Smirnov's journey are sketchy. Some accounts say that he traveled along the Great Siberian Road as a volunteer on the way to the front in the Russo-Japanese War. Other accounts say that he was an exile, possibly sent to Siberia for refusing to be conscripted into the army. The Great Siberian Road, depicted in several of Smirnov's drawings, was the route from Moscow to China via Siberia. Smirnov's collection of 99 graphic items is preserved in the Novosibirsk State Museum of Regional History and Folklife. The collection was acquired by the museum from the artist in 1950. It was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers project in the early 2000s. The complete collection is presented in the World Digital Library. World Digital Library.
- Smirnov, Boris Vasil'evich, , 1881-1954 , artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1904
- - Smirnov
- - grafika
- - nati︠u︡rmort
- - Sibir'
- - Irkutsk
- - Cake
- - Easter
- - Eggs
- - Food
- - Russian Federation
- - Irkutsk Oblast
- - Смирнов
- - графика
- - натюрморт
- - Сибирь
- - Иркутск
- - Avtorskai︠a︡ podpis' - vnizu sprava (karandash). Tyl'nai︠a︡ storona lista: fragment mashinostroitel'nogo chertezha (tush'); v verkhneĭ polovine sleva - avtorskai︠a︡ nadpis': "Paskhal'nyĭ stol. Irkutsk 1903" (skoropis'; sous). Tyl'nai︠a︡ storona paspartu verkhniĭ levyĭ ugol - avtorskai︠a︡ nadpis': "khud. B.V. Smirnov Paskha na snegu. Irkutsk 1904 g." (skoropis'; fioletovye chernila).
- - Original image at: Novosibirsk State Museum of Regional History and Folklife
- - Авторская подпись - внизу справа (карандаш). Тыльная сторона листа: фрагмент машиностроительного чертежа (тушь); в верхней половине слева - авторская надпись: "Пасхальный стол. Иркутск 1903" (скоропись; соус). Тыльная сторона паспарту верхний левый угол - авторская надпись: "худ. Б.В. Смирнов Пасха на снегу. Иркутск 1904 г." (скоропись; фиолетовые чернила).
- 1 painting : watercolor ; 28.5 x 36.6 cm.
- Boris Smirnov Print Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Smirnov, Boris Vasil'Evich, , Artist. Paskha na snegu. Irkutsk. Russian Federation Irkutsk Oblast Irkutsk, 1904. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018688272/.
APA citation style:
Smirnov, B. V. (1904) Paskha na snegu. Irkutsk. Russian Federation Irkutsk Oblast Irkutsk, 1904. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018688272/.
MLA citation style:
Smirnov, Boris Vasil'Evich, , Artist. Paskha na snegu. Irkutsk. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018688272/>.