Photo, Print, Drawing Drevni︠a︡i︠a︡ zvonnit︠s︡a. Древняя звонница.
About this Item
- Drevni︠a︡i︠a︡ zvonnit︠s︡a.
- Древняя звонница.
- Church in the Taiga. Ancient Belfry.
- Boris Vasilievich Smirnov (1881-1954) was a Russian artist who in 1904 traveled by prisoner transport from western Russia across Siberia. Along the way he created a series of drawings and watercolors of the people and places he encountered. Best known as a portraitist, Smirnov focused on the faces of the men and women he met, who included exiles, prisoners, settlers from Ukraine and western Russia, local military and civilian officials, peasants and merchants. His works from this period also include a handful of drawings of houses and landscapes. The sketches were made in the Ural Mountains, Irkutsk, Omsk, Krasnoyarsk, and in villages along the route. The details of Smirnov's journey are sketchy. Some accounts say that he traveled along the Great Siberian Road as a volunteer on the way to the front in the Russo-Japanese War. Other accounts say that he was an exile, possibly sent to Siberia for refusing to be conscripted into the army. The Great Siberian Road, depicted in several of Smirnov's drawings, was the route from Moscow to China via Siberia. Smirnov's collection of 99 graphic items is preserved in the Novosibirsk State Museum of Regional History and Folklife. The collection was acquired by the museum from the artist in 1950. It was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers project in the early 2000s. The complete collection is presented in the World Digital Library. World Digital Library.
- Smirnov, Boris Vasil'evich, , 1881-1954 , artist.
Created / Published
- Zapadnai︠a︡ Sibir' : [publisher not identified], 1904.
- - Smirnov
- - grafika
- - t︠s︡erkov'
- - Sibir'
- - Bell towers
- - Bells
- - Siberia
- - Russian Federation
- - Смирнов
- - графика
- - церковь
- - Сибирь
- - Avtorskoĭ podpisi net. Tyl'nai︠a︡ storona lista v t︠s︡entre - avtorskai︠a︡ nadpis': "Sibir'. T︠S︡erkov' v taĭge. 1903 g." (skoropis'; karandash). Tyl'nai︠a︡ storona paspartu sverkhu - avtorskai︠a︡ nadpis': "khud. Smirnov B.V. Zapadnai︠a︡ Sibir'. Drevni︠a︡i︠a︡ zvonnit︠s︡a Akv. 1904 g." (skoropis'; fioletovye chernila).
- - Original image at: Novosibirsk State Museum of Regional History and Folklife
- - Авторской подписи нет. Тыльная сторона листа в центре - авторская надпись: "Сибирь. Церковь в тайге. 1903 г." (скоропись; карандаш). Тыльная сторона паспарту сверху - авторская надпись: "худ. Смирнов Б.В. Западная Сибирь. Древняя звонница Акв. 1904 г." (скоропись; фиолетовые чернила).
- 1 painting : gouache ; 19.8 x 21.5 cm.
- Boris Smirnov Print Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Smirnov, Boris Vasil'Evich, , Artist. Drevni︠a︡i︠a︡ Zvonnit︠s︡a. Russian Federation, 1904. [Zapadnai︠a︡ Sibir': publisher not identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018688296/.
APA citation style:
Smirnov, B. V. (1904) Drevni︠a︡i︠a︡ Zvonnit︠s︡a. Russian Federation, 1904. [Zapadnai︠a︡ Sibir': publisher not identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018688296/.
MLA citation style:
Smirnov, Boris Vasil'Evich, , Artist. Drevni︠a︡i︠a︡ Zvonnit︠s︡a. [Zapadnai︠a︡ Sibir': publisher not identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018688296/>.