Photo, Print, Drawing Vid na botanicheskiĭ uchastok ot universitetskogo fontana. Вид на ботанический участок от университетского фонтана.
About this Item
- Vid na botanicheskiĭ uchastok ot universitetskogo fontana.
- Вид на ботанический участок от университетского фонтана.
- View of the Botany Section from the University Fountain.
- This photograph is from Imperatorskii Tomskii universitet, 1880-1892 (The Imperial Tomsk University, 1880-1892), an album that documents the formative years of the Imperial Tomsk University (the predecessor of present-day Tomsk State University), the oldest institution of higher learning in Siberia. Tsar Alexander II signed a decree on the establishment of the university on May 28, 1878, and construction began a little over two years later. The first classes, in the medical faculty, began in 1888. The album contains 83 photographs with interior and exterior views of the university's buildings, including the main administrative building, lecture halls, dormitories and dining halls, the library, botanical museum, university church, as well as the greenhouse and the university farm. The album ends with two photographs showing the ceremony at which the cornerstone of the first university building was laid on August 26, 1880. The photographs are preceded by 12 pages of text providing detailed explanations of all the images, as well as several tables. One table contains a list of all the buildings, their dimensions, dates of construction, cost of construction, and other information. The album is preserved in the National Library of Russia and was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
Created / Published
- Tomsk, Russia : [publisher not identified], 1890-1899.
- - Siberian Cities
- - Tomsk
- - 19th century
- - Imperial Tomsk University
- - Uchebnye zavedenii︠a︡
- - 1892-1899
- - Educational facilities
- - Universities and colleges
- - Russian Federation
- - Tomsk Oblast
- - "Imperatorskiĭ Tomskiĭ universitet. 1880 - 1892". List 41.
- - Original image at: National Library of Russia
- - From the photo album "Императорский Томский университет. 1880 - 1892."
- - "Императорский Томский университет. 1880 - 1892". Лист 41.
- 1 photograph.
- Imperial Tomsk University, 1880-1892
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Vid Na Botanicheskiĭ Uchastok Ot Universitetskogo Fontana. Russian Federation Tomsk Tomsk Oblast, 1890. [Tomsk, Russia: publisher not identified, to 1899] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018688891/.
APA citation style:
(1890) Vid Na Botanicheskiĭ Uchastok Ot Universitetskogo Fontana. Russian Federation Tomsk Tomsk Oblast, 1890. [Tomsk, Russia: publisher not identified, to 1899] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018688891/.
MLA citation style:
Vid Na Botanicheskiĭ Uchastok Ot Universitetskogo Fontana. [Tomsk, Russia: publisher not identified, to 1899] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018688891/>.