Photo, Print, Drawing Olonetskai︠a︡ gubernii︠a︡. Олонетская губерния.
About this Item
- Olonetskai︠a︡ gubernii︠a︡.
- Олонетская губерния.
- Olonetsk Province.
- This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Olonetsk Province, located in the northwestern part of the empire. The province borders Finland across Lake Ladoga in the west, and also contains many other lakes. Petrozavodsk, situated on the western shore of Lake Onega, was the administrative center of the province. The name of the city, meaning "Peter's factory" in Russian, derives from the iron foundry built for manufacturing cannons and anchors for the Baltic Fleet during the rule of Peter the Great. The card indicates that the distance from Petrozavodsk to St. Petersburg was 359 versts, and from Petrozavodsk to Moscow, 1,1351/4 versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers. World Digital Library.
- Gribanov, K. M., illustrator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1800-1839.
- - Olonetskaia
- - cards
- - Russia geography
- - Devices (Heraldry)
- - Ethnic costume
- - Maps
- - Playing cards
- - Provincial emblems
- - Russian Federation
- - Karelia, Republic of
- - Original image at: National Library of Russia
- 1 color lithograph ; 9.5 x 6.5 cm.
- Imperial Russian Playing Cards
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gribanov, K. M., Illustrator. Olonetskai︠a︡ Gubernii︠a︡. Russian Federation Karelia Republic of, 1800. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1839] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018689311/.
APA citation style:
Gribanov, K. M. (1800) Olonetskai︠a︡ Gubernii︠a︡. Russian Federation Karelia Republic of, 1800. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1839] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018689311/.
MLA citation style:
Gribanov, K. M., Illustrator. Olonetskai︠a︡ Gubernii︠a︡. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1839] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018689311/>.