Photo, Print, Drawing Ėstli︠a︡ndskai︠a︡ gubernii︠a︡. Эстляндская губерния.
About this Item
- Ėstli︠a︡ndskai︠a︡ gubernii︠a︡.
- Эстляндская губерния.
- Estland Province.
- This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Estland Province, located in the northwestern part of the empire. The province borders the Gulf of Finland to the northwest and Lake Chudskoe to the southeast. Estland Province was established on the lands annexed from Sweden in the course of the Great Northern War of 1700-21. Reval (present-day Tallin, Estonia) was the administrative center. The card indicates that the distance from Reval to St. Petersburg was 3581/2 versts, and from Reval to Moscow, 1,0181/4 versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers. World Digital Library.
- Gribanov, K. M., illustrator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1800-1839.
- - Estliandskaia
- - cards
- - Russia geography
- - Devices (Heraldry)
- - Ethnic costume
- - Maps
- - Playing cards
- - Provincial emblems
- - Estonia
- - Original image at: National Library of Russia
- 1 color lithograph ; 9.5 x 6.5 cm.
- Imperial Russian Playing Cards
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gribanov, K. M., Illustrator. Ėstli︠a︡ndskai︠a︡ Gubernii︠a︡. Estonia, 1800. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1839] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018689346/.
APA citation style:
Gribanov, K. M. (1800) Ėstli︠a︡ndskai︠a︡ Gubernii︠a︡. Estonia, 1800. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1839] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018689346/.
MLA citation style:
Gribanov, K. M., Illustrator. Ėstli︠a︡ndskai︠a︡ Gubernii︠a︡. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1839] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018689346/>.