Book/Printed Material Otchetʺ Rossiĭsko - Amerikanskoĭ kompanii za 1859 godʺ. Отчетъ Россiйско - Американской компанiи за 1859 годъ.
About this Item
- Otchetʺ Rossiĭsko - Amerikanskoĭ kompanii za 1859 godʺ.
- Отчетъ Россiйско - Американской компанiи за 1859 годъ.
- Annual Report of the Russian-American Company for 1859.
- In 1799, Emperor Paul I of Russia granted a charter to establish the Russian-American Company. The company was an outgrowth of the Shelikhov-Golikov Company, a fur-trading venture founded in 1783 by Grigorii Ivanovich Shelikhov (1747-95) and Ivan Larionovich Golikov, and of several other companies. In 1784, Shelikhov founded the first permanent Russian settlement in Alaska, at Three Saints Bay on Kodiak Island. Although primarily a commercial entity, the Russian-American Company took on the responsibilities of Russian colonial government and became an outpost in the Pacific for the Imperial Court in Saint Petersburg. The focus of the company remained on fur, however, as it maintained some 40 trading locations throughout Alaska. Among the company's most notable accomplishments was the establishment of Fort Ross in northern California, which was inhabited from 1812-42 and was a center of Russian colonial activity. In 1867, when the United States purchased Alaska from the Russian Empire, ending Russia's colonial presence in North America, the Russian-American Company was sold to an American business and from 1868 it operated as the Alaska Commercial Company. Throughout its history, the Russian-American Company kept detailed records of its work and published annual reports on its finances, the fur trade, the movement of people from Russia to North America, and company accomplishments. In some years the reports also included maps of new territories explored or new settlements established. World Digital Library.
- Rossiĭsko-amerikanskai︠a︡ kompanii︠a︡, creator.
Created / Published
- Saint Petersburg, Russia : [publisher not identified], 1860.
- - Fur trade
- - Russian-American Company
- - Trading companies
- - Russian Federation
- - Saint Petersburg
- - United States of America
- - Alaska
- - "Map of Possessions of the Russian-American Company." This map was commissioned by the Russian-American Company in 1860.
- - V knigu vkleena karta: "Vladenii︠a︡ Rossiĭsko - Amerikanskoĭ kompanii. 1860.".
- - Original text at: National Library of Russia
- - В книгу вклеена карта: "Владения Российско - Американской компании. 1860.".
- 136 pages, maps ; 23 x 15 cm.
- Annual Reports of the Russian-American Company
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Rossiĭsko-Amerikanskai︠A︡ Kompanii︠A︡, Creator. Otchetʺ Rossiĭsko - Amerikanskoĭ kompanii zagodʺ. [Saint Petersburg, Russia: publisher not identified, 1860] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018689444/.
APA citation style:
Rossiĭsko-Amerikanskai︠A︡ Kompanii︠A︡, C. (1860) Otchetʺ Rossiĭsko - Amerikanskoĭ kompanii zagodʺ. [Saint Petersburg, Russia: publisher not identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018689444/.
MLA citation style:
Rossiĭsko-Amerikanskai︠A︡ Kompanii︠A︡, Creator. Otchetʺ Rossiĭsko - Amerikanskoĭ kompanii zagodʺ. [Saint Petersburg, Russia: publisher not identified, 1860] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018689444/>.