Photo, Print, Drawing Di︠e︡tskiĭ prii︠u︡tʺ u Nizhne-Kariĭskago promysla. Дѣтскiй прiютъ у Нижне-Карiйскаго промысла.
About this Item
- Di︠e︡tskiĭ prii︠u︡tʺ u Nizhne-Kariĭskago promysla.
- Дѣтскiй прiютъ у Нижне-Карiйскаго промысла.
- Orphanage at the Nizhniaia Kara Mining Works.
- This photograph is one of 74 views taken in July 1891 by Aleksei Kirillovich Kuznetsov (1845-1928) and contained in the albumTipy i vidy Nerchinskoi katorgi(Views and inhabitants of Nerchinsk hard labor camps). The Nerchinskkatorgawas part of the katorga (forced labor) system of imperial Russia, located in the province of Transbaikalia (present-day Zabaykal'skiy Kray), near the Russian border with China. The katorga was administered by the Ministry of Interior and included prisons at Akatuy, Kara, Aleksandrovsk, Nerchinskii Zavod, and Zerentuy, all of which are depicted in the album. Common criminals and political prisoners alike were sent to these camps to work the nearby mines and their associated smelting plants. Gold was chiefly mined at Kara, silver and lead at Akatuy. Kuznetsov himself was a political prisoner, sentenced in 1873 to permanent exile in Siberia and six years of hard labor at the Kara mines. After completing his sentence, Kuznetsov received permission to settle in Nerchinsk, where he founded a local cultural society. In 1889 it moved to Chita. It is not clear how he received permission to visit the prisons of the Nerchinsk katorga and to create this graphic record of the prisoners and the conditions in which they lived and worked. The album is held by the National Library of Russia in Saint Petersburg and was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
- Kuznetsov, A. K., 1845-1928, photographer.
Created / Published
- Nerchinsk : [publisher not identified], 1891.
- - photographs
- - 1891
- - penal servitude
- - hard labor
- - Nerchinsk mines
- - Child labor
- - Convict labor
- - Exiles
- - Gardens
- - Orphanages
- - Orphans
- - Prisoners
- - Wooden buildings
- - Russian Federation
- - Zabaykalsky Krai
- - Nizhnyaya Kara
- - List iz alʹboma "Tipy i vidy Nerchinskoĭ katorgi", No. 12.
- - Original image at: National Library of Russia
- - From the photo album "Типы и виды Нерчинской каторги."
- - Лист из альбома "Типы и виды Нерчинской каторги", No. 12.
- 1 photograph ; 18.3 x 24 cm.
- Views of the Nerchinsk Hard Labor Camps
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kuznetsov, A. K, photographer. Di︠e︡tskiĭ prii︠u︡tʺ u Nizhne-Kariĭskago promysla. Russian Federation Nizhnyaya Kara Zabaykalsky Krai, 1891. [Nerchinsk: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018691442/.
APA citation style:
Kuznetsov, A. K., photographer. (1891) Di︠e︡tskiĭ prii︠u︡tʺ u Nizhne-Kariĭskago promysla. Russian Federation Nizhnyaya Kara Zabaykalsky Krai, 1891. [Nerchinsk: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018691442/.
MLA citation style:
Kuznetsov, A. K, photographer. Di︠e︡tskiĭ prii︠u︡tʺ u Nizhne-Kariĭskago promysla. [Nerchinsk: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018691442/>.