Photo, Print, Drawing Detskai︠a︡ sportploshchadka. Детская спортплощадка.
About this Item
- Detskai︠a︡ sportploshchadka.
- Детская спортплощадка.
- Children's Sports Ground.
- This photograph is from a collection entitled "Timeless Chukotka," which was created by Moscow photographer Aleksandr Vladimirovich Sorin (born 1965) and Novosibirsk journalist Artem Gotlib. In June and July of 2003, Sorin and Gotlib undertook an expedition to the Chukotka Autonomous Okrug, the most northeasterly region of the Russian Federation. Chukotka is characterized by a low population density, an untouched and mostly mountainous natural landscape, and a harsh Arctic climate. About half of the region's territory lies north of the Arctic Circle. Transportation by airplane is more efficient and more widespread than travel on the region's few roads. Sorin and Gotlib initially planned to travel by barge along the Anadyr' River, but the complications of transportation in Chukotka led them to alter their plans. Their eventual route took them from Anadyr', the administrative center of the region, to the tundra settlement of Ust'-Belaya, and on to the settlements of Bukhta Provideniya, Sireniki, and Novoye Chaplino on the shores of the Bering Sea. Sorin and Gotlib concluded that conventional concepts of time and punctuality have little meaning in Chukotka, which explains the word "timeless" that they used in naming their collection. The photographs depict the daily lives of the people of Chukotka, as well as its settlements, coastlines, and natural landscapes. The collection was gathered for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
- Sorin, Aleksandr Vladimirovich, born 1965, photographer.
- Gotlib, Artem, contributor.
Created / Published
- Chukotskiĭ avtonomnyĭ okrug, Anadyrʹ : [publisher not identified], 26 ii︠u︡ni︠a︡ 2003 g.
- - deti
- - portret
- - igry
- - mi︠a︡ch
- - bereg
- - ovrag
- - Children
- - Games
- - Russian Far East
- - Siberia
- - Sports
- - Russian Federation
- - Chukotka Autonomous Okrug
- - Anadyr
- - дети
- - портрет
- - игры
- - мяч
- - берег
- - овраг
- - Original image at: Siberian Museum Agency
- 1 slide : black and white negative ; 35 millimeter film.
- Timeless Chukotka
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gotlib, Artem, Contributor, Sorin, Aleksandr Vladimirovich, Born 1965, photographer. Detskai︠a︡ Sportploshchadka. Russian Federation Chukotka Autonomous Okrug Anadyr, 2003. [Chukotskiĭ avtonomnyĭ okrug,Anadyrʹ: publisher not identified, 26 ii︠u︡ni︠a︡ g] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018692623/.
APA citation style:
Gotlib, A., Sorin, A. V., photographer. (2003) Detskai︠a︡ Sportploshchadka. Russian Federation Chukotka Autonomous Okrug Anadyr, 2003. [Chukotskiĭ avtonomnyĭ okrug,Anadyrʹ: publisher not identified, 26 ii︠u︡ni︠a︡ g] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018692623/.
MLA citation style:
Gotlib, Artem, Contributor, photographer by Sorin, Aleksandr Vladimirovich, Born 1965. Detskai︠a︡ Sportploshchadka. [Chukotskiĭ avtonomnyĭ okrug,Anadyrʹ: publisher not identified, 26 ii︠u︡ni︠a︡ g] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018692623/>.