Photo, Print, Drawing Interʹer i︠a︡kutskoĭ urasy. Интерьер якутской урасы.
About this Item
- Interʹer i︠a︡kutskoĭ urasy.
- Интерьер якутской урасы.
- Интерьер якутской урасы.
- This drawing is from a collection of watercolor sketches created in the Yakut Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic during the 1920s-1940s. The Yakut ASSR--informally referred to as Yakutiya and known today as the Sakha Republic--covered a large region in eastern Siberia. It is the historical home of the Yakut (Sakha) people, a Turkic ethnic group who arrived in the region around the 13th century and who still make up almost half of its population. This collection of sketches was created by Mikhail Mikhailovich Nosov (1887-1960), who was born near Yakutsk and spent his early adulthood working as a teacher. Nosov began working as an artist and specialist of local history during the 1920s, while simultaneously continuing to teach until he began working at the Yakutsk Local History Museum in 1934. He made drawings based on archaeological finds in the region and later worked at the institute of Yakut language, literature, and history in the Siberian Branch of the Soviet Academy of Sciences, where he wrote a five-volume atlas about Yakut material culture. This collection of Nosov's drawings depicts Yakut material culture of the 18th and 19th centuries. Featured items include women's jewelry, hats, clothing, traps, barns, and farming equipment. The interiors of Yakut dwellings are also depicted. Nosov's drawings and paintings are housed in the Yakutsk State Museum of the History and Culture of Northern Peoples. The collection was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
- Nosov, M. M. (Mikhail Mikhaĭlovich), 1887-1960, artist.
Created / Published
- I︠A︡kutii︠a︡ : [publisher not identified], [date of publication not identified]
- - khappakhchy
- - stolby
- - orony
- - zhilʹe
- - beresta
- - Columns
- - Housing
- - Interiors
- - Russian Far East
- - Siberia
- - Yakut (Turkic people)
- - Russian Federation
- - Sakha (Yakutiya) Republic
- - хаппахчы
- - столбы
- - ороны
- - жилье
- - береста
- - Izobrazhen fragment interʹera letnego zhilishcha i︠a︡kutov - urasy. Izobrazhena t︠s︡entralʹnai︠a︡ chastʹ, tam, gde razmeshchaetsi︠a︡ khappakhchy, to estʹ mesto, gde spit devushka za beresti︠a︡nym pologom.
- - Original image at: Yakutsk State Museum of the History and Culture of Northern Peoples
- - Изображен фрагмент интерьера летнего жилища якутов - урасы. Изображена центральная часть, там, где размещается хаппахчы, то есть место, где спит девушка за берестяным пологом.
- 1 drawing : watercolor and pencil on paper ; 24.3 x 33 cm.
- Yakut Material Culture in Ethnographic Sketches of the 1920s-1940s
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Nosov, M. M. , Artist. Interʹer I︠a︡kutskoĭ Urasy. Russian Federation Republic Yakutiya Sakha, 1937. [I︠A︡kutii︠a︡: publisher not identified, date of publication not identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693542/.
APA citation style:
Nosov, M. M. (1937) Interʹer I︠a︡kutskoĭ Urasy. Russian Federation Republic Yakutiya Sakha, 1937. [I︠A︡kutii︠a︡: publisher not identified, date of publication not identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693542/.
MLA citation style:
Nosov, M. M. , Artist. Interʹer I︠a︡kutskoĭ Urasy. [I︠A︡kutii︠a︡: publisher not identified, date of publication not identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018693542/>.