Map Karta novykh otkrytiĭ v Vostochnom Okeane. Карта новых открытий в Восточном Океане.
About this Item
- Karta novykh otkrytiĭ v Vostochnom Okeane.
- Карта новых открытий в Восточном Океане.
- Map of the New Discoveries in the Eastern Ocean.
- This Russian map of 1781 depicts parts of eastern Siberia and the northwestern part of the North American continent, including places reached by the Russians Mikhail Gvozdev and Ivan Sind, the English explorer Captain James Cook, and others. In 1732, the expedition led by Gvozdev and the navigator Ivan Fedorov crossed the Bering Strait between Asia and America, discovered the Diomede Islands, and approached Alaska in the vicinity of Cape Prince of Wales. The expedition landed on the shore of the North American mainland, marked on the map as the "American Point," and reported that what they discovered was not an island but a far greater landmass. South of the Bering Strait, the map shows the islands mapped by Lieutenant Sind in 1764-68 and several islands discovered by the English. Northeast of Bering Strait, in the far north of present-day Alaska, is a point reached by Cook in 1778 during his third voyage to the Pacific in his quest for the elusive Northwest Passage. It is marked on the map with the words: "Glorious Captain Cook reached this place in 1778." The map also points out areas inhabited by various ethnic groups with whom the Russian and European explorers made early contacts: Yakut, Koryak, Yukagir, and others. World Digital Library.
Created / Published
- Saint Petersburg, Russia : Rossiĭskai︠a︡ akademii︠a︡ nauk, 1781.
- - Cook, James, 1728-1779
- - Exploration and encounters
- - Explorers
- - Siberia
- - Voyages and travels
- - Russian Federation
- - Amur Oblast
- - Chukotka Autonomous Okrug
- - Khabarovsk Krai
- - Sakha (Yakutiya) Republic
- - Sakhalin Oblast
- - United States of America
- - Alaska
- - Karta vostochnoĭ chasti Sibiri i severo-zapadnoĭ chasti Ameriki. Pokazany mesta, poseshchavshiesi︠a︡ geodezistom Gvozdevym v 1732 g., kapitanom Kukom v 1778 g.,.
- - Original map at: National Library of Russia
- - Карта восточной части Сибири и северо-западной части Америки. Показаны места, посещавшиеся геодезистом Гвоздевым в 1732 г., капитаном Куком в 1778 г.,.
- 1 engraved map ; 17 x 38 cm, on sheet 20 x 50 cm
- Maps and Atlases from the National Library of Russia
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Amur Oblast
- Chukotka Autonomous Okrug
- Khabarovsk Krai
- Russian Federation
- Sakhalin Oblast
- United States
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Karta novykh otkrytiĭ v Vostochnom Okeane. Saint Petersburg, Russia: Rossiĭskai︠a︡ akademii︠a︡ nauk, 1781. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693880/.
APA citation style:
(1781) Karta novykh otkrytiĭ v Vostochnom Okeane. Saint Petersburg, Russia: Rossiĭskai︠a︡ akademii︠a︡ nauk. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693880/.
MLA citation style:
Karta novykh otkrytiĭ v Vostochnom Okeane. Saint Petersburg, Russia: Rossiĭskai︠a︡ akademii︠a︡ nauk, 1781. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018693880/>.