Book/Printed Material Opyt" grammatiki aleutsko - lis'evskago i︠a︡zyka. Svi︠a︡shchennika I. Veniaminova, v" Unalashki︠e︡. Опытъ грамматики алеутско - лисьевскаго языка. Священника И. Венiаминова, въ Уналашкѣ.
About this Item
- Opyt" grammatiki aleutsko - lis'evskago i︠a︡zyka. Svi︠a︡shchennika I. Veniaminova, v" Unalashki︠e︡.
- Опытъ грамматики алеутско - лисьевскаго языка. Священника И. Венiаминова, въ Уналашкѣ.
- Explanation of the Grammar of the Aleut and Fox Languages by Father Ioann Veniaminov, Compiled in Unalaska.
- This very detailed description of the grammar of the languages of the native people of the Aleutian and Fox Islands was written by Father Ioann Veniaminov (1797-1879), who later became Saint Innokentii of Alaska. Veniaminov was one of the greatest of the Russian Orthodox missionaries to Alaska. Born in a village near Irkutsk in Siberia, Veniaminov volunteered to go to Alaska in 1823. He settled with his wife and family in Unalaska where he built a church and school and began his lifelong task of studying the native languages of the region. He created alphabets for several native languages, particularly the Unangam dialect of Aleut and the languages of the native peoples of the Fox and Pribilof Islands. In 1840, following the death of his wife, Veniaminov took the monastic name Innokentii and was made bishop of the newly created diocese of Kamchatka, the Kuril Islands, and the Aleutians. He later served as metropolitan of Moscow and Kolomna, the second-highest position in the Russian Orthodox Church. He was canonized by the church in 1977.Published by the Russian Imperial Academy of Sciences in Saint Petersburg in 1846, the book is preserved in the National Library of Russia. It was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
- - Aleut language
- - Aleutian Islands (Alaska)
- - Grammar
- - Language and culture
- - United States of America
- - Alaska
- - Aleutian Islands
- - Posvi︠a︡shchenie: Imperatorskoĭ Akademii nauk s userdiem posvi︠a︡shchaet svi︠a︡shchennik Ivan Veniaminov.
- - Original text at: National Library of Russia
- - Посвящение: Императорской Академии наук с усердием посвящает священник Иван Вениаминов.
- 120 pages ; 23 x 13 cm
- Rare Books from the National Library of Russia
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Opyt" grammatiki aleutsko - lis'evskago i︠a︡zyka. Svi︠a︡shchennika I. Veniaminova, v" Unalashki︠e︡. 1846. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693950/.
APA citation style:
(1846) Opyt" grammatiki aleutsko - lis'evskago i︠a︡zyka. Svi︠a︡shchennika I. Veniaminova, v" Unalashki︠e︡. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693950/.
MLA citation style:
Opyt" grammatiki aleutsko - lis'evskago i︠a︡zyka. Svi︠a︡shchennika I. Veniaminova, v" Unalashki︠e︡. 1846. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018693950/>.