Book/Printed Material Valaamskie missionery v Amerike (v kont︠s︡e XVIII stoletii︠a︡). Валаамские миссионеры в Америке (в конце XVIII столетия).
About this Item
- Valaamskie missionery v Amerike (v kont︠s︡e XVIII stoletii︠a︡).
- Валаамские миссионеры в Америке (в конце XVIII столетия).
- Missionaries from Valaam in America (at the End of the 18th Century).
- The book presented here recounts the work of the ten monks from the Valaam Monastery, in Russian Karelia, who went to Alaska to establish the Russian Orthodox mission. The group of monks was sent at the request of Grigorii Shelikhov (1747-95), co-founder of a predecessor of the Russian-American Company. Shelikhov had begun trading with indigenous peoples in Alaska and wanted to establish a greater Russian presence in the territory. The monks departed Saint Petersburg in December 1793 and arrived on Kodiak Island the following September. The book covers the history of the mission work, which took place primarily on Kodiak Island and neighboring Spruce Island. It includes profiles of the monks, particularly Herman (1756-1837), one of the best-known Russian Orthodox missionaries in that part of Alaska who was subsequently canonized, and Hieromonk Gideon (circa 1770-1843), who established the first school on Kodiak Island. The book contains copies of the correspondence of Gideon and Herman. Published in Saint Petersburg in 1900, the book was digitized at the National Library of Russia in the early 2000s for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project. World Digital Library.
- - Kodiak Island (Alaska)
- - Missionaries
- - Missions
- - Russian Orthodox Church
- - Russian Federation
- - Karelia, Republic of
- - Valaam
- - United States of America
- - Alaska
- - Kodiak
- - Spruce Island
- - Original text at: National Library of Russia
- 292 pages : illustrations ; 22 x 15 cm
- Rare Books from the National Library of Russia
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Valaamskie missionery v Amerike v kont︠s︡e XVIII stoletii︠a︡. 1900. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693956/.
APA citation style:
(1900) Valaamskie missionery v Amerike v kont︠s︡e XVIII stoletii︠a︡. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693956/.
MLA citation style:
Valaamskie missionery v Amerike v kont︠s︡e XVIII stoletii︠a︡. 1900. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018693956/>.