Book/Printed Material Polozhenie khristian" v" buri︠a︡tskikh" obshchestvakh" pod" nachal'stvom" i︠a︡zychnikov". Положенiе христiанъ въ бурятскихъ обществахъ подъ начальствомъ язычниковъ.
About this Item
- Polozhenie khristian" v" buri︠a︡tskikh" obshchestvakh" pod" nachal'stvom" i︠a︡zychnikov".
- Положенiе христiанъ въ бурятскихъ обществахъ подъ начальствомъ язычниковъ.
- The Predicament of Christians in Buriat Societies Under the Pagan Rule.
- As the leading missionary in the region around Lake Baikal, Archbishop Veniamin of Irkutsk and Nerchinsk (born Vasilii Antonovich Blagonravov, 1825-92) was a proponent of Christianizing the local Buriat people and promoting among them the culture and language of European Russia. Veniamin saw the baptism into the Russian Orthodox faith of the local population, who were mostly Buddhist, as critical for the Russification of Siberia. This essay, written about ten years into Veniamin's ministry in Irkutsk, describes the situation for Christians in the area at that time. It was originally part of a report to the governor-general of Eastern Siberia. Eighteen months after the report was sent, a meeting of regional bishops and governors, including the governor-general, was convened to discuss what Veniamin considered the lack of support for the mission's work among the political leadership. In 1889, a new governor-general was appointed and the church launched a new missionary drive, which included mass conversions. Published in Irkutsk in 1884, the report is preserved in the collections of the National Library of Russia in Saint Petersburg. It was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
- - Buriats
- - Missionaries
- - Missions
- - Russian Orthodox Church
- - Russian Federation
- - Buryatia, Republic of
- - Irkutsk Oblast
- - Izvlechenie iz ofit︠s︡ial'nogo otnoshenii︠a︡ k General-Gubernatoru Vostochnoĭ Sibiri ot 22 noi︠a︡bri︠a︡ 1883 goda.
- - Original text at: National Library of Russia
- - Извлечение из официального отношения к Генерал-Губернатору Восточной Сибири от 22 ноября 1883 года.
- 23 pages ; 23 x 15 cm
- Rare Books from the National Library of Russia
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Polozhenie Khristian" V" Buri︠a︡tskikh" Obshchestvakh" Pod" Nachal'stvom" I︠a︡zychnikov". 1884. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693965/.
APA citation style:
(1884) Polozhenie Khristian" V" Buri︠a︡tskikh" Obshchestvakh" Pod" Nachal'stvom" I︠a︡zychnikov". [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693965/.
MLA citation style:
Polozhenie Khristian" V" Buri︠a︡tskikh" Obshchestvakh" Pod" Nachal'stvom" I︠a︡zychnikov". 1884. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018693965/>.