Book/Printed Material Stranichka iz istorii khristianskogo prosveshchenii︠a︡ i︠a︡kutov i uchastii︠a︡ v nem N. I. Il'minskogo. Страничка из истории христианского просвещения якутов и участия в нем Н. И. Ильминского.
About this Item
- Stranichka iz istorii khristianskogo prosveshchenii︠a︡ i︠a︡kutov i uchastii︠a︡ v nem N. I. Il'minskogo.
- Страничка из истории христианского просвещения якутов и участия в нем Н. И. Ильминского.
- A Page from the History of the Christian Enlightenment of the Yakuts and the Role of N.I. Il'minskii.
- This booklet summarizes the work of Nikolai Ivanovich Il'minskii (1822-91) among the Yakut (Sakha) people. Il'minskii was a linguist and educator who spent much of his career working as a missionary for the Russian Orthodox Church among the native people of Siberia, including the Yakuts. At the time, Christianizing the native Siberian groups was seen as a way to expand the influence of the Russian state over the region. Il'minkskii's educational method involved developing alphabetical systems for native languages so that people could learn about the church in their own tongue. Il'minskii believed that converts would be more committed to the faith if they could worship in their native languages. Il'minskii developed his method with the help of Il'ia Nikolaevich Ul'ianov (1831-86), a leading figure in Russian education in the 19th century, better known as the father of Vladimir Lenin (1870-1924). Written by Dionizy, Metropolitan of Warsaw and All Poland, the booklet is a reprint of an article that originally appeared in the journal Pravoslavnogo Blagovestnika (Orthodox evangelist). Preserved in the collections of the National Library of Russia in Saint Petersburg, it was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
- Dionizy, Metropolitan of Warsaw and All Poland, 1876-1960 , author.
- - Ilʹminskīĭ, N. I. (Nikolaĭ Ivanovich), 1822-1891
- - Missionaries
- - Missions
- - Russian Orthodox Church
- - Siberia
- - Yakut (Turkic people)
- - Russian Federation
- - Sakha (Yakutiya) Republic
- - 2-e izd. Ottisk iz No.6 i 7 "Pravoslavnogo Blagovestnika" za 1902 god.
- - Original text at: National Library of Russia
- - 2-е изд. Оттиск из No.6 и 7 "Православного Благовестника" за 1902 год.
- 12 pages ; 23 x 15 cm
- Rare Books from the National Library of Russia
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Dionizy, Metropolitan Of Warsaw And All Poland, , Author. Stranichka iz istorii khristianskogo prosveshchenii︠a︡ i︠a︡kutov i uchastii︠a︡ v nem N. I. Il'minskogo. 1902. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693967/.
APA citation style:
Dionizy, M. O. W. A. A. P. (1902) Stranichka iz istorii khristianskogo prosveshchenii︠a︡ i︠a︡kutov i uchastii︠a︡ v nem N. I. Il'minskogo. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693967/.
MLA citation style:
Dionizy, Metropolitan Of Warsaw And All Poland, , Author. Stranichka iz istorii khristianskogo prosveshchenii︠a︡ i︠a︡kutov i uchastii︠a︡ v nem N. I. Il'minskogo. 1902. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018693967/>.