Book/Printed Material Trudy pravoslavnykh missiĭ Vostochnoĭ Sibiri. Tom pervyĭ. 1862 - 1867. Труды православных миссий Восточной Сибири. Том первый. 1862 - 1867.
About this Item
- Trudy pravoslavnykh missiĭ Vostochnoĭ Sibiri. Tom pervyĭ. 1862 - 1867.
- Труды православных миссий Восточной Сибири. Том первый. 1862 - 1867.
- Work of the Orthodox Mission to Eastern Siberia, Volumes One Through Four. 1862-1867.
- This detailed, four-volume work describing the missionary efforts of the Russian Orthodox Church in Siberia consists of reports that the missionaries in the field sent to each other, their superiors, and to the Irkutsk Committee of the Orthodox Mission Society, which managed the church's missionary efforts among the native people of eastern Siberia. The missions were part of a larger effort to expand the influence of the Russian state over the region by Christianizing the local groups, which were primarily Buddhist and Shamanistic. Many of the chapters were written by Archbishop Veniamin of Irkutsk and Nerchinsk (born Vasilii Antonovich Blagonravov, 1825-92), who was for many years the leading missionary in the area of Siberia east of Lake Baikal. The volumes are preserved in the collections of the National Library of Russia and were digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
- - Missionaries
- - Missions
- - Russian Orthodox Church
- - Siberia
- - Russian Federation
- - Irkutsk Oblast
- - Izdanie Irkutskogo komiteta pravoslavnogo missionerskogo obshchestva.
- - Original text at: National Library of Russia
- - Издание Иркутского комитета православного миссионерского общества.
- 4 volumes ; 22 x 15 cm
- Rare Books from the National Library of Russia
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Trudy pravoslavnykh missiĭ Vostochnoĭ Sibiri. Tom pervyĭ.- 1867. 1883. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693972/.
APA citation style:
(1883) Trudy pravoslavnykh missiĭ Vostochnoĭ Sibiri. Tom pervyĭ.- 1867. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693972/.
MLA citation style:
Trudy pravoslavnykh missiĭ Vostochnoĭ Sibiri. Tom pervyĭ.- 1867. 1883. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018693972/>.