Book/Printed Material Zhiznennye voprosy pravoslavnoĭ missii v Sibiri. Soch. Veniamina, arkhiep. Irkutskogo i Nerchinskogo. Жизненные вопросы православной миссии в Сибири. Соч. Вениамина, архиеп. Иркутского и Нерчинского.
About this Item
- Zhiznennye voprosy pravoslavnoĭ missii v Sibiri. Soch. Veniamina, arkhiep. Irkutskogo i Nerchinskogo.
- Жизненные вопросы православной миссии в Сибири. Соч. Вениамина, архиеп. Иркутского и Нерчинского.
- Questions about Life in the Orthodox Missions to Siberia Answered by Veniamin, Archbishop of Irkutsk and Nerchinsk.
- Veniamin (born Vasilii Antonovich Blagonravov, 1825-92), Bishop of Selenginsk in the 1860s and Archbishop of Irkutsk and Nerchinsk from 1873 until his death, was for many years the leading missionary in the region of Siberia east of Lake Baikal. He was a proponent of Christianizing the local Buriat people and promoting among them the culture and language of European Russia. Veniamin saw the baptism of the local population, who were mostly Buddhist, as critical for the Russification of Siberia. In this book, Veniaminov provides answers in essay form to three questions about the Orthodox missions in Siberia: the duties of the Russian state in supporting mission work (the conversion of native people to the Russian Orthodox Church); the position of Christians in Buriat societies; and characteristics of the Buddhist faith as practiced in eastern Siberia. The book is preserved in the collections of the National Library of Russia in Saint Petersburg. It was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
- - Buriats
- - Missions
- - Russian Orthodox Church
- - Russian Federation
- - Buryatia, Republic of
- - Irkutsk Oblast
- - Original text at: National Library of Russia
- 75 pages ; 22 x 15 cm
- Rare Books from the National Library of Russia
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Zhiznennye voprosy pravoslavnoĭ missii v Sibiri. Soch. Veniamina, arkhiep. Irkutskogo i Nerchinskogo. 1885. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693974/.
APA citation style:
(1885) Zhiznennye voprosy pravoslavnoĭ missii v Sibiri. Soch. Veniamina, arkhiep. Irkutskogo i Nerchinskogo. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693974/.
MLA citation style:
Zhiznennye voprosy pravoslavnoĭ missii v Sibiri. Soch. Veniamina, arkhiep. Irkutskogo i Nerchinskogo. 1885. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018693974/>.