Book/Printed Material Irkutskai︠a︡ dukhovnai︠a︡ missii︠a︡ s 1861 po 1870 god. Иркутская духовная миссия с 1861 по 1870 год.
About this Item
- Irkutskai︠a︡ dukhovnai︠a︡ missii︠a︡ s 1861 po 1870 god.
- Иркутская духовная миссия с 1861 по 1870 год.
- The Irkutsk Spiritual Mission 1861-70.
- Presented here is a short book, published by the Russian Orthodox Church in 1870, which gives an overview of the work of the church's mission to Siberia during the 1860s. The mission was part of a drive by the church to Christianize the native peoples of Siberia in service of a wider effort by the Russian state to Russianize the territory. Many of the missionaries to Siberia were skilled linguists who translated Orthodox texts into local languages. The book was written by Parfeni (born Peter Tikhonovich Popov, 1811-73), archbishop of Irkutsk and Nerchinsk from 1860 to 1873. He established two missions and baptized 8,000 people, laying the groundwork for his successor, Veniamin (born Vasilii Antonovich Blagonravov, 1825-92), an influential missionary who saw the baptism of the local Buddhist population as critical for the Russification of Siberia. The book is preserved in the collections of the National Library of Russia in Saint Petersburg. It was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
- Popov, Peter Tikhonovich, 1811-1873 , author.
- - Missions
- - Russian Orthodox Church
- - Siberia
- - Russian Federation
- - Irkutsk Oblast
- - Iz Irk. Eparkh. Vedomosteĭ.
- - Original text at: National Library of Russia
- - Из Ирк. Епарх. Ведомостей.
- 84 pages ; 22 x 14 cm
- Rare Books from the National Library of Russia
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Popov, Peter Tikhonovich, , Author. Irkutskai︠a︡ Dukhovnai︠a︡ Missii︠a︡ SPo 1870 God. 1870. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693977/.
APA citation style:
Popov, P. T. (1870) Irkutskai︠a︡ Dukhovnai︠a︡ Missii︠a︡ SPo 1870 God. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693977/.
MLA citation style:
Popov, Peter Tikhonovich, , Author. Irkutskai︠a︡ Dukhovnai︠a︡ Missii︠a︡ SPo 1870 God. 1870. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018693977/>.