Book/Printed Material Apostol Altai︠a︡ (Makariĭ Glukharev) i deti. Апостол Алтая (Макарий Глухарев) и дети.
About this Item
- Apostol Altai︠a︡ (Makariĭ Glukharev) i deti.
- Апостол Алтая (Макарий Глухарев) и дети.
- The Apostle of the Altay (Makarii Glukharev) and His Children.
- The short hagiographical text presented here recounts the life of Makarii (born Mikhail Yakovlevich Glukharev, 1792-1847), known as the "apostle of the Altay," and describes his followers. Makarii was a noted linguist and scholar who taught at several seminaries in European Russia before asking to be sent as a missionary to Siberia. He was part of a group that established the Altay (Altai) Spiritual Mission at Biysk. Makarii believed that missionaries would have more success if they had a new translation of the Bible into Russian. He asked the Holy Synod in Saint Petersburg for permission to translate the Bible from Hebrew and Greek, but the request was turned down. His translation of the Old Testament was published after his death. The text is by Dmitrii Ivanovich Vvedensky (1873-1954), a biblical scholar and historian known primarily for his work on the patriarchal period of biblical studies. After the Russian Revolution, Vvedensky was arrested for anti-Soviet activities and exiled to Kazakhstan. He later was allowed to return to Russia, where he taught in schools in the city of Nizhny Novgorod until the end of his life. This book is preserved in the collections of the National Library of Russia in Saint Petersburg. It was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
- Vvedenskiy, Dmitrii Ivanovich, , 1873-approximately 1954 , author.
- - Makariĭ, Archimandrite, 1792-1847
- - Missionaries
- - Russian Orthodox Church
- - Siberia
- - Russian Federation
- - Altai Krai
- - Original text at: National Library of Russia
- 14 pages ; 17 x 13 cm
- Rare Books from the National Library of Russia
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Vvedenskiy, Dmitrii Ivanovich, Approximately 1954 , Author. Apostol Altai︠a︡ Makariĭ Glukharev i deti. 1916. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693985/.
APA citation style:
Vvedenskiy, D. I. (1916) Apostol Altai︠a︡ Makariĭ Glukharev i deti. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693985/.
MLA citation style:
Vvedenskiy, Dmitrii Ivanovich, Approximately 1954 , Author. Apostol Altai︠a︡ Makariĭ Glukharev i deti. 1916. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018693985/>.