Book/Printed Material Zabaĭkal'skai︠a︡ Pravoslavnai︠a︡ missii︠a︡ v T︠S︡arstvovanie Imperatora Aleksandra II (1855-1881). Забайкальская Православная миссия в Царствование Императора Александра II (1855-1881).
About this Item
- Zabaĭkal'skai︠a︡ Pravoslavnai︠a︡ missii︠a︡ v T︠S︡arstvovanie Imperatora Aleksandra II (1855-1881).
- Забайкальская Православная миссия в Царствование Императора Александра II (1855-1881).
- The Transbaikal Orthodox Mission in the Reign of Emperor Alexander II (1855-1881).
- The booklet presented here gives an overview of the work of Russian Orthodox Church missionaries in the area east of Lake Baikal in the middle part of the 19th century. This was an active time for missionary work, as Orthodox missionaries expanded their efforts as part of a broader strategy of Russification of the region. The booklet discusses the work of the missionaries among a number of native peoples, including the Buriats, who were Buddhist, and the Tungus, who were Shamanists. A chart at the end of the booklet tracks the progress of the missionary effort, as measured by the church. Between 1869 and 1881 a total of 4,350 persons were baptized, ranging from a low of 225 in 1869 to 513 in 1881. The booklet, which was written by T.P. Berezin and first published in the magazine Pravoslavnogo blagovestnika (Orthodox evangelist) in 1893, is preserved in the collections of the National Library of Russia in Saint Petersburg. It was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s. World Digital Library.
- Berezin, T. P., author.
- - Baikal, Lake (Russia)
- - Missions
- - Russian Orthodox Church
- - Siberia
- - Russian Federation
- - Buryatia, Republic of
- - Published in the magazine "Orthodox Evangelist," issues 22, 23, and 24.
- - Ottisk iz No.No. 22, 23 i 24 "Pravoslavnogo Blagovestnika".
- - Original text at: National Library of Russia
- - Оттиск из No.No. 22, 23 и 24 "Православного Благовестника".
- 44 pages ; 25 x 16 cm
- Rare Books from the National Library of Russia
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Berezin, T. P., Author. Zabaĭkal'skai︠a︡ Pravoslavnai︠a︡ missii︠a︡ v T︠S︡arstvovanie Imperatora Aleksandra II -1881. 1893. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693989/.
APA citation style:
Berezin, T. P. (1893) Zabaĭkal'skai︠a︡ Pravoslavnai︠a︡ missii︠a︡ v T︠S︡arstvovanie Imperatora Aleksandra II -1881. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018693989/.
MLA citation style:
Berezin, T. P., Author. Zabaĭkal'skai︠a︡ Pravoslavnai︠a︡ missii︠a︡ v T︠S︡arstvovanie Imperatora Aleksandra II -1881. 1893. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018693989/>.