Book/Printed Material "Khristianskai︠a︡ topografii︠a︡" Koz'my Indikoplova. "Христианская топография" Козьмы Индикоплова.
About this Item
- "Khristianskai︠a︡ topografii︠a︡" Koz'my Indikoplova.
- "Христианская топография" Козьмы Индикоплова.
- The Christian Topography of Cosmas Indicopleustes.
- The Christian Topography of Cosmas Indicopleustes is a literary monument of Byzantine origin. The book was written in the sixth century by the monk Cosmas, whose sobriquet, Indicopleustes, points to an earlier career as a merchant and traveler. The work was widely disseminated in translation in Russia, where it had a long manuscript tradition and was read and transcribed for centuries. Among the Old Believers (dissenters from Russian Orthodox reforms in the mid-17th century), the work remains popular to the present day. In terms of content, the composition is a medieval encyclopedia of a unique character. It contains knowledge of both a theological and a natural philosophical or scientific character, and describes, from the perspective of Christian dogma, human understanding of the surrounding world: the structure of the universe, the geography of the world, the nature of humanity, the animal world, and so forth. Manuscripts of the work as a rule were illustrated. This copy contains many colorful miniatures illustrating the book's themes. The manuscript, which dates from the early 19th century, is from the collections of the Institute of History of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (II SO RAN) in Novosibirsk, Russia, and was acquired in Vostochno-Kazakhstanskaia Oblast (part of present-day Kazakhstan). It was digitized in the early 2000s as part of the Meeting of Frontiers project of the Library of Congress and partner institutions in the Russian Federation, the United States, and Germany. World Digital Library.
- Cosmas, Indicopleustes, active 6th century , author.
- - Manuscripts
- - Church
- - Eastern Kazakhstan
- - Bible -- Geography
- - Christianity -- Philosophy
- - Encyclopedias and dictionaries
- - Geography, Medieval
- - Illuminations
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Old Believers
- - Siberia
- - Kazakhstan
- - Rukopis' bez nachala i kont︠s︡a, plokhoĭ sokhrannosti: krai︠a︡ otdel'nykh listov porvany, chast' listov otdeli︠a︡etsi︠a︡ ot bloka.
- - Tekst napisan poluustavom.
- - Smotri: Slovar' knizhnikov i knizhnosti Drevneĭ Rusi. L., 1987. Vypusk 1. S. 465-467. Izd.: Kniga, glagolemai︠a︡ Koz'my Indikoplova. SPb., 1886. (OLDP, N 86).
- - Original text at: Institute of History of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- - Рукопись без начала и конца, плохой сохранности: края отдельных листов порваны, часть листов отделяется от блока.
- - Текст написан полууставом.
- - Смотри: Словарь книжников и книжности Древней Руси. Л., 1987. Выпуск 1. С. 465-467. Изд.: Книга, глаголемая Козьмы Индикоплова. СПб., 1886. (ОЛДП, N 86).
- 31.3 x 21.7 cm
- Manuscripts from Siberia
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Cosmas, Indicopleustes, Active 6Th Century , Author. "Khristianskai︠a︡ topografii︠a︡" Koz'my Indikoplova. 1800. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018694011/.
APA citation style:
Cosmas, I. (1800) "Khristianskai︠a︡ topografii︠a︡" Koz'my Indikoplova. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018694011/.
MLA citation style:
Cosmas, Indicopleustes, Active 6Th Century , Author. "Khristianskai︠a︡ topografii︠a︡" Koz'my Indikoplova. 1800. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018694011/>.