Book/Printed Material Stikhoslozhenie. Стихосложение.
About this Item
- The Birch-bark Book.
- This book was handwritten in October 1991 on 18 sheets of finely worked birch bark by Afanasii Gerasimovich Murachev, an instructor of the Old Believer schismatic sect. It consists of a collection of previously unknown compositions by Old Believer peasant writers, including Murachev himself. Most of the compositions concern the history of the Enisei (or Yenisey) monasteries. The latter were Old Believer monasteries that in 1937-1940 secretly relocated from the Ural Mountains to the left bank of the Lower Yenisey River and the Dubches River and its tributaries. In 1951 the monasteries were spotted from the air by the Soviet authorities and subsequently demolished by a punitive detachment. The hermits associated with the monasteries and the peasants who had supported them were arrested, and all the buildings, icons, and books were burned. This birch-bark book primarily contains religious poems on the themes of the destruction of the Enisei monasteries, the trial of the monastery residents, and the subsequent death in prison of the head of the Dubches monasteries, Father Simeon, in 1953. The book is enhanced with a few small instructional compositions in verse by Murachev. Some of the compositions are of a personal nature, while others are addressed to the congregation as a whole. Exhorting his religious flock to a righteous life, Murachev seeks to embrace all aspects of human existence and create a unique code for the God-fearing Christian. The birch-bark book is from the collections of the Institute of History of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (II SO RAN). It was digitized in the early 2000s as part of the Meeting of Frontiers project of the Library of Congress and partner institutions in the Russian Federation, the United States, and Germany. World Digital Library.
- Murachev, Afanasiĭ Gerasimovich , author.
- - Manuscripts
- - Books
- - Church
- - Repression
- - Birch bark
- - Yenisei
- - Krasnoyarsk Krai
- - Monastic and religious life
- - Old Believers
- - Poetry
- - Religion and state
- - Religious discrimination
- - Russian poetry
- - Siberia
- - Russian Federation
- - Tekst napisan pozdnim poluustavom.
- - Smotri: Pokrovskiĭ N.N. Rukopis' sibirskikh staroobri︠a︡dt︠s︡ev na bereste / Zhivai︠a︡ starina. N 1. 1995. S. 28-39; Titova L.V. Dukhovnye stikhi v beresti︠a︡noĭ knige Afanasii︠a︡ Gerasimova. / Tam zhe. S. 40-41; Dukhovnai︠a︡ literatura. S. 306-322, 701-703 (Teksty i kommentariĭ podgotovleny N.N. Pokrovskim i L.V. Titovoĭ).
- - Original text at: Institute of History of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- - Текст написан поздним полууставом.
- - Смотри: Покровский Н.Н. Рукопись сибирских старообрядцев на бересте / Живая старина. N 1. 1995. С. 28-39; Титова Л.В. Духовные стихи в берестяной книге Афанасия Герасимова. / Там же. С. 40-41; Духовная литература. С. 306-322, 701-703 (Тексты и комментарий подготовлены Н.Н. Покровским и Л.В. Титовой).
- 18 sheets : 17.8 x 13.8 cm ; birch bark.
- Manuscripts from Siberia
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Murachev, Afanasiĭ Gerasimovich , Author. Stikhoslozhenie. 1991. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018694013/.
APA citation style:
Murachev, A. G. (1991) Stikhoslozhenie. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018694013/.
MLA citation style:
Murachev, Afanasiĭ Gerasimovich , Author. Stikhoslozhenie. 1991. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018694013/>.