Manuscript/Mixed Material The Washington Haggadah.
About this Item
- The Washington Haggadah.
- Contributor Names
- Joel ben Simeon, active 15th century.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Haggadot--Texts
- - Jewish illumination of books and manuscripts
- - Judaism--Liturgy--Texts
- - Seder--Liturgy--Texts
- - Manuscripts, Hebrew--Washington (D.C.)
- - The Washington Haggadah was reproduced in a facsimile edition in 1991 together with a companion volume, the Commentary, including an Introduction by Myron M. Weinstein, and essays on its art by Bezalel Narkiss, a codicological description by Malachi Beit-Arié, the Ashkenazic and Italian Haggadot by Mordecai Glatzer and the perspective of the conservator, D.A. Hamburg.
- - The Washington Haggadah. Passover Haggadah according to the Ashkenazic rite. The blessings for eruvin were copied at the end of the manuscript (f. 35r-v) and not at the beginning as is customary.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Ashkenazic square script.
- - Description based on finding aid
- - Written and illuminated by Joel b. Simeon, an itinerant scribe from Germany who copied and illuminated many manuscripts in both his home country and in north and central Italy in the second half of the fifteenth century. Copy completed on 25 Shevat 5238=January 29, 1478. Colophon (f. 34v): ותשלם המלאכה ודיו. ויהי היום כ"ה ימים לחדש שבט שנת רל"ח לפרט. נאם הקטן שבסופרים יואל בן שמעון ז"ל. The fact that no owner is mentioned in the colophon suggests that it was not commissioned but was produced in advance for a chance buyer. Provenance: On f. IIr (the paper, inner front flyleaf) and on f. 36r and the following blank leaves there are inscriptions from 1872-1880 from members of the Provenzali family in Mantua (cf. M. Weinstein's Introduction to the facsimile edition, p. 8 and p. 21, note 30). The Haggadah was purchased by E. Deinard in Mantua in 1902 and probably came to the Library of Congress in 1916 along with the Third Deinard Collection (cf. Weinstein, ibid. pp. 6-8).
- 38 ff. (ff. 36-38 blank except for some late jottings). Parchment. ; 22.5 x 15.5 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- LC Hebr. Ms 181
- Library of Congress African and Middle Eastern Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Joel Ben Simeon, Active 15Th Century. The Washington Haggadah. 1478. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018757799/.
APA citation style:
Joel Ben Simeon, A. 1. C. (1478) The Washington Haggadah. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018757799/.
MLA citation style:
Joel Ben Simeon, Active 15Th Century. The Washington Haggadah. 1478. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018757799/>.
More Manuscripts/Mixed Material like this
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialKitāb-i mazāmīr-i Ḥaz̤rat-i Dāvīd = Sefer Tehilim : tefilah le-Daṿid.
کتاب مزامير حضرت داويد = ספר תהלים : תפלה לדוד. | Sefer Tehilim Text of Sefer Tehillim [Book of Psalms] in Hebrew with interlinear Persian translation.
- Contributor: Maʻṣūmī Tihrānī, ʻabd Al-Ḥamīd - Bahman, Mahdī - Mission Group of Peace for All
- Date: 2004
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialOrder of Prayers before Retiring at Night Executed in: Mainz. Miniature prayerbook with additional blessings, illuminated by Joseph ben Meir Schmalkalden in silver, gold, and various colors in gouache. Handwritten title page bearing a rhymed inscription by one Joseph...
- Date: 1745
Manuscript/Mixed Material[Breviary]. Ms. Written in Paris. The primary contents, written probably in the 3rd quarter of the 13th cent., are on leaves 18-505 (as foliated in modern pencil). Additional matter added closer to 1300...
- Contributor: Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Collection (Library of Congress) - Catholic Church
- Date: 1260
Manuscript/Mixed Material[Missal for the Divine Liturgy of the Armenian Apostolic Church] "Dzeramb Meghapart Marzvantsʻu Tēr Eghiay Eritsʻu skhal banitsʻ kam amotʻu zdzer otatsʻn hoghew pʻoshi chʻem arzhani zanuns yisheal"--Colophon. Amasya İli (Turkey). Bolorgir, black and read ink; Illustrations: pen-drawn decorations; chapters have decorated...
- Contributor: Armenian Church - Eghia
- Date: 1722
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialOr zgnal Body of the manuscript in bolorgir letters. Cover: leather over cardboard. Folio 3r: first line of ornithographic letters on first line folio 3r.; second line: gold uncial (erkatʻagir) letters; third line: purple...
- Contributor: Armenian Church
- Date: 1722