Photo, Print, Drawing Tobol'sk s iuzhnoi storony.
About this Item
- Tobol'sk s iuzhnoi storony.
- Tobol'sk from the south side.
- This painting is from an album of 32 original watercolors by the Tobol'sk artist M.S. Znamenskii is from the library of Tsar Nicholas II. The album was obtained for him in 1894 for 800 rubles following the death of the artist. Znamenskii painted the watercolors over a number of years and collected them in a birch-bark covered binding under the title "From Tobol'sk to Obdorsk." The subjects include scenes from Tobol'sk, Berezov, Obdorsk (present-day Salekhard), and other localities in Tobol'sk Province; the different ethnic groups living in this region of Siberia (Russians, Tatars, Ostiaks, Samoyeds); scenes of everyday life and work; as well as several historical themes, including the "Conquest of Siberia" and "Siberia as a Place of Exile." World Digital Library.
- Znamenskiĭ, M. S. (Mikhail Stepanovich), 1833-1892, creator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1862-1887]
- - Ethnic groups
- - Manners and customs
- - Siberia
- - Russian Federation
- - Tyumen Oblast
- - Yamalo-Nenetskiy Autonomous Okrug
- - Al'bom iz biblioteki imperatora Nikolaia II, priobreten dlia nee v 1894 godu za 800 rublei posle smerti khudozhnika. Seriia akvarelei, sozdannykh vo vtoroi polovine XIX veka tobol'skim khudozhnikom M.S. Znamenskim. Znamenskii zapechatlel v nikh to, chto sam videl, ob"ezdiv ogromnuiu Tobol'skuiu guberniiu, to, chto khorosho predstavlial po rasskazam ochevidtsev, nakonets to, o chem uznal iz legend. Al'bom soderzhit izobrazheniia Tobol'ska, Berezova, Obdorska (nyne Salekhard) i drugikh mestnostei, a takzhe izobrazheniia zhitelei dannogo sibirskogo kraia (russkikh, tatar, ostiakov, samoedov), ikh byta, zaniatii i ikh vzaimootnoshenii s ofitsial'noi vlast'iu (sbor podatei, prinesenie prisiagi i dr.). Ne oboshel khudozhnik takzhe temy "Pokorenie Sibiri" i "Sibir' kak mesto ssylki".Sozdannye v raznye gody akvareli khudozhnik ob"edinil nazvaniem "Ot Tobol'ska do Obdorska", pomestiv ikh v papku, kryshki kotoroi pokryty berestoi.
- - Bound in birch bark, this is a splendid work of art containing original watercolors of landscapes, portraits, folk costume, housing for the Decembrists living in Tobol'sk, etc.
- - Original image at: Russian State Library
- - From the photo album "От Тобольска до Обдорска."
- 1 sheet of original watercolor.
- From Tobol'sk to Obdorsk
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Znamenskiĭ, M. S. , Creator. Tobol'sk S Iuzhnoi Storony. Russian Federation Tyumen Oblast Yamalo Nenetskiy Autonomous Okrug, 1862. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1887] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018758305/.
APA citation style:
Znamenskiĭ, M. S. (1862) Tobol'sk S Iuzhnoi Storony. Russian Federation Tyumen Oblast Yamalo Nenetskiy Autonomous Okrug, 1862. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1887] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018758305/.
MLA citation style:
Znamenskiĭ, M. S. , Creator. Tobol'sk S Iuzhnoi Storony. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1887] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018758305/>.