Book/Printed Material Louder and faster : pain, joy, and the body politic in Asian American taiko
About this Item
- Louder and faster : pain, joy, and the body politic in Asian American taiko
- "Louder and Faster is a cultural study of the phenomenon of Asian American taiko, the thundering, athletic drumming tradition that originated in Japan. Immersed in the taiko scene for twenty years, Deborah Wong has witnessed cultural and demographic changes and the exponential growth and expansion of taiko particularly in Southern California. Through her participatory ethnographic work, she reveals a complicated story embedded in memories of Japanese American internment and legacies of imperialism, Asian American identity and politics, a desire to be seen and heard, and the intersection of culture and global capitalism. Exploring the materialities of the drums, costumes, and bodies that make sound, analyzing the relationship of these to capitalist multiculturalism, and investigating the gender politics of taiko, Louder and Faster considers both the promises and pitfalls of music and performance as an antiracist practice. The result is a vivid glimpse of an Asian American presence that is both loud and fragile"--Provided by publisher.
- Wong, Deborah Anne, author.
Created / Published
- Oakland, California : University of California Press, 
- Introduction -- Looking, listening, and moving -- Inventories : the material culture of taiko -- Dancing the body politic : obon and bon-odori -- Good gigs, bad gigs : drumming between hope and anger - Taiko, erotics, and anger -- Pain and the body politic : taiko players talk about blisters and more -- Cruising the Pac Rim : driven to thrill -- Conclusions : core values.
- - Asian American musicians
- - Japanese American musicians
- - Taiko (Drum ensemble)--United States--History
- - Includes bibliographical references.
- - Description based on print version record and CIP data provided by publisher.
- 1 online resource.
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wong, Deborah Anne, Author. Louder and faster: pain, joy, and the body politic in Asian American taiko. [Oakland, California: University of California Press, ©, 2019] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019000209/.
APA citation style:
Wong, D. A. (2019) Louder and faster: pain, joy, and the body politic in Asian American taiko. [Oakland, California: University of California Press, ©] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019000209/.
MLA citation style:
Wong, Deborah Anne, Author. Louder and faster: pain, joy, and the body politic in Asian American taiko. [Oakland, California: University of California Press, ©, 2019] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019000209/>.