Book/Printed Material State and Revolution in Finland
About this Item
- State and Revolution in Finland
- Alapuro, Risto, 1944- author
Created / Published
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- The formation of a small polity -- The problem -- A comparative perspective -- What is to be explained -- Plan of the book -- State-making and the class structure -- Dominant groups and state-making -- The early nineteenth century -- Economic integration -- The late nineteenth century -- The Agrarian class structure and industrial workers -- The industrial and agricultural revolutions in Finland -- Freeholding peasants and Agrarian workers -- The link between industrial and Agrarian workers -- Crofters -- Territorial integration -- Finnish regions up to 1809 -- Reorientation from Stockholm to St. Petersburg -- Territorial integration in the late nineteenth century -- Core-periphery interaction - the county of Viipuri and Eastern Finland -- South-Western Finland as a core region -- Declining ostrobothnia -- Division of labour and state penetration in Northern Finland -- National integration and class integration -- Finnish nationalism -- The dual nature of nationalism in nineteenth-century Europe -- Finland in a European perspective -- The consolidation of a national culture -- Before the revolution: organisation, mobilisation, and the role of Russia -- Early mass organisation -- The Finno-Russian conflict -- The general strike of 1905, parliamentary reform, and the rise of Agrarian socialism -- Regional consolidation of party support -- Regions as loci of party systems -- The south-western core region -- The county of Viipuri -- Ostrobothnia -- Eastern Finland -- Northern Finland -- The abortive revolution -- On preconditions for revolutionary situations -- The abortive Revolution of 1917-1918 -- Socialists within the polity -- The rise of multiple sovereignty -- The revolutionary situation -- The aftermath -- The social and regional basis for the revolution -- On the character of the Finnish revolution -- Breakdown of society or contest for state power? -- State and nation after the failed revolution -- The failed revolution and the nation -- The persistence of the volcanic model of the Finnish revolution -- On the state, the nation, and class balance -- The Lapua Movement, 1930-2 -- The mass movement and the dominant classes in Finnish fascism -- The Finnish state and revolution in a European perspective -- Eastern European revolutionary movements -- National movements in the Baltic provinces -- Revolution in the Baltic provinces, 1905 and 1917-18 -- Challenges in East-Central Europe -- Fascism in Eastern Europe -- The formation of Finland in Europe -- Economic consolidation -- The formation of state and nation -- Political organisation and mobilisation before 1917 -- Revolutionary situations in small European polities -- State and revolution in Finland.
- - Nationalism--Case studies
- - Nationalism--Finland--History
- - Revolutions--Case studies
- - States, Small--Case studies
- - World War, 1914-1918--Influence
- - Finland--Politics and government--20th century
- - "This second edition includes a new postscript."--Back cover.
- - Originally published in Berkeley, CA : University of California Press, 1988.
- - Includes bibliographical references (pages 269-297) and index.
- - Description based on print version record and CIP data provided by publisher; resource not viewed.
- 1 online resource.
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Alapuro, Risto, Author. State and Revolution in Finland. [Leiden ; Boston: Brill, 2019] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019018508/.
APA citation style:
Alapuro, R. (2019) State and Revolution in Finland. [Leiden ; Boston: Brill] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019018508/.
MLA citation style:
Alapuro, Risto, Author. State and Revolution in Finland. [Leiden ; Boston: Brill, 2019] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019018508/>.