Book/Printed Material On the margins : Jews and Muslims in interwar Berlin
About this Item
- On the margins : Jews and Muslims in interwar Berlin
- "This study addresses encounters between Jews and Muslims in interwar Berlin. Living on the margins of German society, the two groups sometimes used that position to fuse visions and their personal lives. German politics set the switches for their meeting, while the urban setting of Western Berlin offered a unique contact zone. Although the meeting was largely accidental, Muslim Indian missions served as a crystallization point. Five case studies approach the protagonists and their network from a variety of perspectives. Stories surfaced testifying the multiple aid Muslims gave to Jews during Nazi persecution. Using archival materials that have not been accessed before, the study opens up a novel view on Muslims and Jews in the 20th century"-- Provided by publisher.
- Jonker, Gerdien, author
Created / Published
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Crossroads --The Spaces in Between -- The Hiking Club: S.M. Abdullah and the Oettinger Women -- An Artist's View: Lisa Oettinger Between 'Civilizations' -- The Sting of Desire: Hugo Marcus's Theology of Male Friendship -- The Rebels: Luba Derczanska and Her Friends -- An Indian Muslim in Jewish Berlin: Khwaja Abdul Hamied.
- - Islam--Relations--Judaism
- - Jews--Cultural assimilation--Germany--Berlin
- - Jews--Germany--Berlin--Social conditions--20th century
- - Judaism--Relations--Islam
- - Muslims--Cultural assimilation--Germany--Berlin
- - Muslims--Germany--Berlin--Social conditions--20th century
- - Social integration--Germany--Berlin
- - Berlin (Germany)--Ethnic relations
- - Includes bibliographical references and index.
- - Description based on print version record and CIP data provided by publisher; resource not viewed.
- 1 online resource
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jonker, Gerdien, Author. On the margins: Jews and Muslims in interwar Berlin. [Leiden ; Boston: Brill, ©, 2020] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019051624/.
APA citation style:
Jonker, G. (2020) On the margins: Jews and Muslims in interwar Berlin. [Leiden ; Boston: Brill, ©] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019051624/.
MLA citation style:
Jonker, Gerdien, Author. On the margins: Jews and Muslims in interwar Berlin. [Leiden ; Boston: Brill, ©, 2020] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019051624/>.