Collection Software, E-Resource Simple English Wikipedia. Simplewiki
About this Item
- Simple English Wikipedia.
- The dataset is composed of the content of Simple Wikipedia including articles and revision history in XML. The XML dumps are in a Export format and compressed in bzip2 and .7z formats; while SQL dumps are in mysqldump https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Data_dumps External
- Wikimedia Foundation, publisher.
Created / Published
- [San Francisco, CA] : Wikimedia Foundation
- Articles, templates, media/file descriptions, and primary meta-pages -- All pages with complete edit history -- All pages with complete page edit history -- Log events to all pages and users -- All pages, current versions only -- First-pass for page XML data dumps -- Extracted page abstracts for Yahoo.
- - Electronic encyclopedias
- Data sets
- - Website for dataset launched November 17, 2003.
- - "This is the front page of the Simple English Wikipedia. Wikipedias are places where people work together to write encyclopedias in different languages. We use Simple English words and grammar here. The Simple English Wikipedia is for everyone! That includes children and adults who are learning English." - website home page.
- - "A complete copy of all Wikimedia wikis, in the form of wikitext source and metadata embedded in XML. A number of raw database tables in SQL form are also available. These snapshots are provided at the very least monthly and usually twice a month." - Wikimedia Downloads Database backup dumps page.
- - First downloaded by the Library of Congress on January 23, 2019.
- - Title from website home page (viewed May 8, 2019).
- textual datasets
Call Number/Physical Location
- s-Online Electronic Resource
- https://simple.wikipedia.org External
- https://dumps.wikimedia.org/backup-index.html External
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/ External
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to The Selected Datasets Collection for educational and research purposes. The Library has obtained permission for the use of many materials in the Collection, and presents additional materials for educational and research purposes in accordance with fair use under United States copyright law. Researchers should watch for modern documents that may be copyrighted (for example, published in the United States more than 95 years ago, or unpublished and the author died less than 70 years ago).
You are responsible for deciding whether your use of the items in this collection is legal. You are also responsible for securing any permissions needed to use the items. You will need written permission from the copyright owners of materials not in the public domain for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Some content may be protected under international law. You may also need permission from holders of other rights, such as publicity and/or privacy rights.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Digital Collections Management and Services Division
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wikimedia Foundation, Publisher. Simple English Wikipedia. [San Francisco, CA: Wikimedia Foundation, 2003] Software, E-Resource. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019205402/.
APA citation style:
Wikimedia Foundation, P. (2003) Simple English Wikipedia. [San Francisco, CA: Wikimedia Foundation] [Software, E-Resource] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019205402/.
MLA citation style:
Wikimedia Foundation, Publisher. Simple English Wikipedia. [San Francisco, CA: Wikimedia Foundation, 2003] Software, E-Resource. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019205402/>.