Book/Printed Material Complexity, security and civil society in East Asia : foreign policies and the Korean Peninsula
About this Item
- Complexity, security and civil society in East Asia : foreign policies and the Korean Peninsula
- "Complexity, Security and Civil Society in East Asia offers the latest understanding of complex global problems in the region, including nuclear weapons, urban insecurity, energy, and climate change. Detailed case studies of China, North and South Korea, and Japan demonstrate the importance of civil society and 'civic diplomacy' in reaching shared solutions to these problems in East Asia and beyond. Each chapter describes regional civil society initiatives that tackle complex challenges to East Asia's security. In doing so, the book identifies key pressure points at which civil society can push for constructive changes--especially ones that reduce the North Korean threat to its neighbors. Unusually, this book is both theoretical and practical. Complexity, Security and Civil Society in East Asia presents strategies that can be led by civil society and negotiated by its diplomats to realize peace, security, and sustainability worldwide. It shows that networked civic diplomacy offers solutions to these urgent issues that official 'complex diplomacy' cannot. By providing a new theoretical framework based on empirical observation, this volume is a must read for diplomats, scholars, students, journalists, activists, and individual readers seeking insight into how to solve the crucial issues of our time."--Publisher's website.
- Hayes, Peter, 1953- editor
- Yi, Kiho, editor
Created / Published
- Cambridge, UK : Open Book Publishers, 2015.
- Contributors -- Preface / Peter Hayes and Kiho Yi -- 1. Introduction / Peter Hayes, Kiho Yi, and Joan Diamond -- 2. Global Problems, Complexity, and Civil Society in East Asia / Peter Hayes and Richard Tanter -- 3. Energy Security and the Role of Green Economies in East Asia / David von Hippel with Yi Wang, Kae Takase, Tetsunari Iida, Myungrae Cho, and Sun-Jin Yun -- 4. Urban Security and Complexity in Northeast Asia / Sanghun Lee and Takayuki Minato with Peter Hayes -- 5. Complexity and Weapons of Mass Destruction in Northeast Asia / Peter Hayes and Roger Cavazos -- 6. The Implications of Civic Diplomacy for ROK Foreign Policy / Kiho Yi and Peter Hayes with Joan Diamond, Steven Denney, Christopher Green, and Jungmin Seo -- 7. Anticipating Complex Northeast Asian Futures / Peter Hayes, Joan Diamond, and Kiho Yi -- Bibliography -- Index.
- - Civil society--East Asia
- - Diplomacy
- - National security--East Asia--International cooperation
- - National security--East Asia
- - East Asia--Foreign relations
- Electronic books
- - Includes bibliographical references (pages 409-442) and index.
- - Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (viewed on March 25, 2020).
- 1 online resource (xiii, 451 pages) : color illustrations
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International. CC BY 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hayes, Peter, Editor. Complexity, security and civil society in East Asia: foreign policies and the Korean Peninsula. editeds by Yi, Kihoitor Cambridge, UK: Open Book Publishers, 2015. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019467890/.
APA citation style:
Hayes, P., Yi, K., ed. (2015) Complexity, security and civil society in East Asia: foreign policies and the Korean Peninsula. Cambridge, UK: Open Book Publishers. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019467890/.
MLA citation style:
Hayes, Peter, Editor. Complexity, security and civil society in East Asia: foreign policies and the Korean Peninsula. ed by Yi, Kihoitor Cambridge, UK: Open Book Publishers, 2015. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019467890/>.