Photo, Print, Drawing Honesty and Respect - Father's Day 2018.
About this Item
- Honesty and Respect - Father's Day 2018.
- "In a year where social movements were challenging traditional masculinity and redefining what it meant to be a responsible male figure in society, CPSC Social Media Specialist Joseph Galbo meditated on two essential questions - what did it really mean to be a father in 2018? How could CPSC acknowledge Father's Day in a way that was both positive and relevant? As with all CPSC safety memes, the graphic was found first. Flying unsafe toasters, featured in other CPSC memes, returned as antagonists. For the text of the graphic, Galbo sought to turn the cliche of spouses and children telling each other white lies on its head. Also, there had to be a dad joke. The conversation begins expectedly with Dad using language viewers have seen father figures use in pop culture repeatedly. The dialogue continues with the daughter assuming the role of astute, well-spoken, and -- as all kids are at some point with their parents -- unimpressed. Then, things change. Instead of Dad offering a lie to tell his wife he reinforces an important truth about two critical elements that make a healthy relationship - honesty and respect. As for the joke, nothing was more groan-inducing to Millennials in 2018 than a mention of avocado toast. ". Description from creator, Joseph Galbo
- Galbo, Joseph.
- United States Consumer Product Safety Commission
Created / Published
- Bethesda, M.D. : U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, 2018-05-17.
- - saferproducts.gov
- - Transcription of text from image: "And what will we tell your mother? You brought me to a mountaintop on a school night and we were attacked by unsafe toasters. Exactly. Honesty and respect are the bedrock of all healthy relationships. Now, find some avocado. Dad, please don't. These things are toast. Happy Father's Day. SaferProducts.gov."
- - "Social Media Specialist: Joseph Galbo; Approved by Director of Communications, Joseph "Joe" Martyak Deputy Director of Communications, Patty Davis; CPSC Chairman Ann Marie Buerkle"
- 1 meme : digital, PNG file, color
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Galbo, Joseph, and United States Consumer Product Safety Commission. Honesty and Respect - Father's Day. , 2018. Bethesda, M.D.: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, -05-17. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019666986/.
APA citation style:
Galbo, J. & United States Consumer Product Safety Commission. (2018) Honesty and Respect - Father's Day. , 2018. Bethesda, M.D.: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, -05-17. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019666986/.
MLA citation style:
Galbo, Joseph, and United States Consumer Product Safety Commission. Honesty and Respect - Father's Day. Bethesda, M.D.: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, -05-17. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019666986/>.