Book/Printed Material Finding Jerusalem : archaeology between science and ideology
About this Item
- Finding Jerusalem : archaeology between science and ideology
- "Archaeological discoveries in Jerusalem capture worldwide attention in various media outlets. The continuing quest to discover the city's physical remains is not simply an attempt to define Israel's past or determine its historical legacy. In the context of the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict, it is also an attempt to legitimate--or undercut--national claims to sovereignty. Bridging the ever-widening gap between popular coverage and specialized literature, Finding Jerusalem provides a comprehensive tour of the politics of archaeology in the city. Through a wide-ranging discussion of the material evidence, Katharina Galor illuminates the complex legal contexts and ethical precepts that underlie archaeological activity and the discourse of "cultural heritage" in Jerusalem. This book addresses the pressing need to disentangle historical documentation from the religious aspirations, social ambitions, and political commitments that shape its interpretation"--Provided by publisher.
- Galor, Katharina, author.
Created / Published
- [Oakland, California] : University of California Press, 
- Introduction : the archaeology of archaeology -- Boundaries, barriers, walls -- Institutionalization -- From destruction to preservation -- Display and presentation -- Archaeology in the educational systems -- Archaeological ethics -- The City of David / Silwan -- The Church of the Holy Sepulchre -- The Temple Mount / Haram Al-Sharif.
- - Archaeology--Political aspects--Jerusalem
- - Jerusalem--Antiquities
- - Includes bibliographical references (pages 217-238) and index.
- - Description based on print version record; resource not viewed.
- 1 electronic resource (xxi, 248 pages )
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Galor, Katharina, Author. Finding Jerusalem: archaeology between science and ideology. [Oakland, California: University of California Press, ©, 2017] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019667491/.
APA citation style:
Galor, K. (2017) Finding Jerusalem: archaeology between science and ideology. [Oakland, California: University of California Press, ©] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019667491/.
MLA citation style:
Galor, Katharina, Author. Finding Jerusalem: archaeology between science and ideology. [Oakland, California: University of California Press, ©, 2017] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019667491/>.