Book/Printed Material Cars, conduits, and kampongs : the modernization of the Indonesian city, 1920-1960
About this Item
- Cars, conduits, and kampongs : the modernization of the Indonesian city, 1920-1960
- "Cars, Conduits and Kampongs offers a wide panorama of the modernization of the cities in Indonesia between 1920 and 1960. The contributions present a case for asserting that Indonesian cities were not merely the backdrop to processes of modernization and rising nationalism, but formed a causal factor. Modernization, urbanization, and decolonization were intrinsically linked. The various chapters deal with such innovations as the provision of medical treatments, fresh water and sanitation, the implementation of town planning and housing designs, and policies for coping with increased motorized traffic and industrialization. The contributors share a broad critique of the economic and political dimensions of colonialism, but remain alert to the agency of colonial subjects who respond, often critically, to a European modernity" -- Provided by publisher.
- Colombijn, Freek, 1961- editor.
- Coté, Joost, editor.
- Colombijn, Freek, 1961- .
Created / Published
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Modernization of the Indonesian city, 1920-1960 / Freek Colombijn and Joost Cote -- State impositions and passive acceptance -- Call for doctors! Uneven medical provision and the modernization of state health care during the decolonization of Indonesia, 1930s-1950s / Murakami Saki -- (Post)colonial pipes: urban water supply in colonial and contemporary Jakarta / Michelle Kooy and Karen Bakker -- Netherlands Indies town planning: an agent of modernization (1905-1957) / Pauline K.M. van Roosmalen -- Partial accommodation -- Ruckert and Hoesni Thamrin: bureaucrat and politician in colonial kampong improvement / Hans Versnel and Freek Colombijn -- Kotabaru and the housing estate as bulwark against the indigenization of colonial Java / Farabi Fakih -- Public housing in Semarang and the modernization of kampongs, 1930-1960 / Radjimo Sastro Wijono -- From autonomous village to 'informal slum': kampong development and state control in Bandung (1930-1960) / Gustaaf Reerink -- Breaking the boundaries: the Uniekampong and modernization of dock labour in Tanjung Priok, Batavia (1917-1949) / Arjan Veering -- Selective appropriation -- Moving at a different velocity: the modernization of transportation and social differentiation in Surabaya in the 1920s / Johny A. Khusyairi and Freek Colombijn -- The two alun-alun of Malang (1930-1960) / Purnawan Basundoro -- The Indonesianization of the symbols of modernity in Plaju (Palembang), 1930s-1960s / Ida Liana Tanjung -- Chinese cemeteries as a symbol of sacred space: control, conflict, and negotiation in Surabaya / Sarkawi B. Husain.
- - Cities and towns--Indonesia--History--20th century
- - Decolonization--Indonesia
- - Urbanization--Indonesia
- - Nationalism--Indonesia--History--20th century
- - Includes index.
- - "The origin of this book goes back to the conference on 'The decolonization of the Indonesian city in (Asian and African) comparative perspective', held in Leiden, from 26 to 28 April 2006" -- Preface.
- - Description based on print version record; resource not viewed.
- 1 electronic resource (351 pages )
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International CC BY-NC 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Colombijn, Freek, Editor, and Freek Colombijn. Cars, conduits, and kampongs: the modernization of the Indonesian city, -1960. editeds by Coté, Joostitor [Leiden ; Boston: Brill, 2014] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019667523/.
APA citation style:
Colombijn, F. & Colombijn, F., Coté, J., ed. (2014) Cars, conduits, and kampongs: the modernization of the Indonesian city, -1960. [Leiden ; Boston: Brill] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019667523/.
MLA citation style:
Colombijn, Freek, Editor, and Freek Colombijn. Cars, conduits, and kampongs: the modernization of the Indonesian city, -1960. ed by Coté, Joostitor [Leiden ; Boston: Brill, 2014] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019667523/>.