Book/Printed Material Pacific youth : local and global futures
About this Item
- Pacific youth : local and global futures
- Pacific populations are becoming younger and this 'youth bulge' is often perceived as a dangerous precursor to civil unrest. Yet young people are also a valuable resource holding exciting potential for the future of island nations. Addressing these conflicting views of youth, this volume presents ethnographic case studies of young people from across the Pacific and the diaspora. Moving beyond the typical focus on 'youth problems' in reports by Pacific governments and development agencies, the authors examine the highly diverse lives and perspectives of young people in urban and rural locations. They celebrate the contributions of youth to their communities while examining the challenges they face. The case studies explore the impacts of profound local and global changes and cover a wide sweep of youth experiences across themes of education, employment and economic inequalities, political and civil engagement, and migration and the diaspora. Contributors to this volume bring many decades of experience of research with Pacific people as well as fresh perspectives from early career and graduate researchers. Most are anthropologists and their chapters contribute to the interdisciplinary fields of youth studies and Pacific studies, offering thought-provoking insights into the possibilities for Pacific youth as they face uncertain futures.
- Lee, Helen
- Australian National University Press.
Created / Published
- Acton, ACT, Australia : ANU Press, 2019
- Pacific Youth, Local and Global / Helen Lee and Aidan Craney -- Flexibility, Possibility and the Paradoxes of the Present: Tongan Youth Moving into the Future / Mary K Good -- Economic Changes and the Unequal Lives of Young People among the Wampar in Papua New Guinea / Doris Bacalzo -- 'Things Still Fall Apart': A Political Economy Analysis of State-Youth Engagement in Honiara, Solomon Islands / Daniel Evans -- The New Nobility: Tonga's Young Traditional Leaders / Helen Lee -- Youth Leadership in Fiji and Solomon Islands: Creating Opportunities for Civic Engagement / Aidan Craney -- Entrepreneurship and Social Action Among Youth in American Samoa / Aaron John Robarts Ferguson -- Youth's Displaced Aggression in Rural Papua New Guinea / Imelda Ambelye -- From Drunken Demeanour to Doping: Shifting Parameters of Maturation among Marshall Islanders / Laurence Marshall Carucci -- Understanding Childhood in the Micronesian Diaspora by Linking Home Island Lives to Post-Migration Experiences / Mary L Spencer -- Young Pacific Male Athletes' Experiences of Mental Wellbeing in Elite Rugby Union and Rugby League / Caleb Marsters and Jemaima Tiatia-Seath -- Temporary Futures, Permanent Constraints: Wellbeing of Pasifika Youth in Australia / Lila Moosad.
- - Rural youth--Oceania
- - Youth in development--Oceania
- - Youth--Political activity
- - Youth--Oceania
- - Includes bibliographical references.
- - Description based on print version record; resource not viewed.
- 1 electronic resource (298 pages )
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lee, Helen, and Australian National University Press. Pacific Youth: Local and Global Futures. Acton, ACT, Australia: ANU Press, ©, 2019. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2019667692/.
APA citation style:
Lee, H. & Australian National University Press. (2019) Pacific Youth: Local and Global Futures. Acton, ACT, Australia: ANU Press, ©. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2019667692/.
MLA citation style:
Lee, Helen, and Australian National University Press. Pacific Youth: Local and Global Futures. Acton, ACT, Australia: ANU Press, ©, 2019. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2019667692/>.